History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Courthorpes whiligh

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ticehurst, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0567 / 51°3'24"N

Longitude: 0.3625 / 0°21'45"E

OS Eastings: 565665

OS Northings: 131255

OS Grid: TQ656312

Mapcode National: GBR NS6.NGS

Mapcode Global: FRA C6NB.71F

Entry Name: Courthorpes whiligh

Listing Date: 3 August 1961

Last Amended: 13 May 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237733

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414936

Location: Ticehurst, Rother, East Sussex, TN5

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

Civil Parish: Ticehurst

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Ticehurst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Wadhurst

Listing Text

TQ 63 SE TICEHURST WADHURST ROAD

1/30 Whiligh and Courthorpes
(Formerly listed as
3.8.61 Whiligh, Wallcrouch
under General)

II*

The original portion of the building was erected by John Courthope in 1586 but
was altered about 1840. Additions were also made in the early C19. The building
is now L-shaped, the old portion facing south. Two storeys and attic. Four
windows, the Westernmost window bay being an addition. Stuccoed front. Slate
roof. Three gables overhanging on moulded bressummers and brackets. Below
the outer gables is a similar overhang to the first floor and on the first floor
bay windows with coves beneath them. The ground floor has C19 bays, and below
the centre gable is a similar bay on first floor also. Casement windows. C19
gabled porch. The East front dates from the early C19. Two storeys. Ten windows.
Faced with buff mathematical tiles. Painted quoins. Parapet. Sash windows
with glazing bars intact on first floor only. One bay of three windows on both
floors, towards the south end. This house has been the home of the Courthope
family since 1512. The timbers for the roof of Westminster Hall were cut from
this estate, as also were those for its repair after World War II.


Listing NGR: TQ6566531255

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.