History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Houses post Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Marple, Stockport

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4152 / 53°24'54"N

Longitude: -2.0543 / 2°3'15"W

OS Eastings: 396484

OS Northings: 390931

OS Grid: SJ964909

Mapcode National: GBR GX3Y.1G

Mapcode Global: WHB9Y.DFZ6

Entry Name: Church Houses post Office

Listing Date: 11 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242538

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441969

Location: Stockport, SK6

County: Stockport

Electoral Ward/Division: Marple North

Built-Up Area: Marple

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Werneth (Compstall) St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Marple

Listing Text

SJ 99 SE WERNETH COMPSTALL BROW
(north-east
side)
Compstall
2/202 Nos. 230 and
231
- (Church Houses)

G.V. II

Includes Post Office and No. 229 Market Place. House, now 3
houses and a post office. 1835-6 for the Andrew family.
Dressed stone with graduated stone slate roof and ashlar
dressings. 2 x 6 bays with 2 storeys, double-depth, access
to the post office at basement level to the right gable and
a small wing to rear. Stone plinth. Doorways in bays 3 and 5
each with chamfered surround, hoodmould and overlight with
marginal glazing bars. 4 ground floor and 6 first floor
windows all with 2 lights, a double-chamfered stone mullion,
a hoodmould and glazing bars. 4 chimney stacks. Lean-to
against left gable. Sash windows to rear and C20 replacement
windows to right gable. Occupied by the Andrew family for
most of the C19.


Listing NGR: SJ9648490931

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SJ 99 SE WERNETH COMPSTALL BROW
(north-east
side)
Compstall
2/202 Nos. 230 and
231
- (Church Houses)

G.V. II

Includes Post Office and No. 229 Market Place. House, now 3
houses and a post office. 1835-6 for the Andrew family.
Dressed stone with graduated stone slate roof and ashlar
dressings. 2 x 6 bays with 2 storeys, double-depth, access
to the post office at basement level to the right gable and
a small wing to rear. Stone plinth. Doorways in bays 3 and 5
each with chamfered surround, hoodmould and overlight with
marginal glazing bars. 4 ground floor and 6 first floor
windows all with 2 lights, a double-chamfered stone mullion,
a hoodmould and glazing bars. 4 chimney stacks. Lean-to
against left gable. Sash windows to rear and C20 replacement
windows to right gable. Occupied by the Andrew family for
most of the C19.


Listing NGR: SJ9648490931

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.