History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former North Saw Pits Building Number 84

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sheerness, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.445 / 51°26'42"N

Longitude: 0.7469 / 0°44'48"E

OS Eastings: 590987

OS Northings: 175361

OS Grid: TQ909753

Mapcode National: GBR RS1.9NL

Mapcode Global: VHKJ0.WYR3

Plus Code: 9F32CPWW+2Q

Entry Name: Former North Saw Pits Building Number 84

Listing Date: 25 April 1994

Last Amended: 13 August 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243244

English Heritage Legacy ID: 446561

Location: Sheerness, Swale, Kent, ME12

County: Kent

Electoral Ward/Division: Sheerness

Built-Up Area: Sheerness

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


933/1/10001 Sheerness Dockyard
Former North Saw Pits,
25.04.1994 Building No.84


Saw pits, later office and store, disused. 1828, by William Miller, architect for the Navy Board, iron work by R and F Salisbury, Old Buffery, Dudley, Worcs; truncated mid C20. Iron frame, with end walls and upper part of side walls in brick; hipped double roof with large slates of diminishing courses and some asbestos sheet replacement. PLAN: double-depth rectangular plan, truncated at S end; 7 bays survive of original 10 bays. EXTERIOR: Single storey elevations originally open to E and W sides with original strips of cast-iron small-paned windows above inserted rendered walling; 4-window N end, with arcade of recessed semi-circular arched windows with glazing bar sashes. INTERIOR: contains 2 trusses with wrought-iron tension members to flat cast-iron ties and braces, supported by an axial row of cast-iron columns, joined to perimeter T -section columns by cast-iron beams and a central valley beam; each of the internal columns has diagonal braces both parallel and at right angles to the trusses; iron laths to slates. HISTORY: originally a 10-bay open structure providing cover each for a pair of saw pits. The internal frame and external walls similar to those used by Edward Holl for the 1826 mast house (Building 26, qv). An example of the experimental iron construction developed by Rennie and Holl and pioneered in the dockyards. An important example of a free-standing iron frame, and forming part of a unique early C19 dockyard. (Sources: Sheerness, the Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995: NMR BINO 93279; Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851: 41).

Listing NGR: TQ9098775361

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.