History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Culver House hammerfield hammerfield Cottage hammertower

A Grade II Listed Building in Penshurst, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1782 / 51°10'41"N

Longitude: 0.178 / 0°10'40"E

OS Eastings: 552332

OS Northings: 144362

OS Grid: TQ523443

Mapcode National: GBR MP8.3SH

Mapcode Global: VHHQ5.1NF4

Entry Name: Culver House hammerfield hammerfield Cottage hammertower

Listing Date: 16 January 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243267

English Heritage Legacy ID: 446924

Location: Penshurst, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN11

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Penshurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Penshurst St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Penshurst

Listing Text

1.
5280 PENSHURST PENSHURST
Penshurst Road
(West Side)

Hammertower.
Hammerfield.
Culver House.
Hammerfield Cottage.
TQ 5244 22/842

II


2.
Earlier C19 house converted and extended in 1859 by George Devey for Sir James
Nasmyth, the astronomer, engineer and inventor of the steam hammer. Now divided
into 4 residences. Hammerfield Cottage, at the west end, was the former observatory
and workshop, the other dwellings form the original house. Entrance front of
2 storeys, 5 windows, with projecting, gabled, porch section, and octagonal
tower with ogee leaded roof. Irregular building typical of Devey's style, with
large-diapered brickwork and gables with ball finials. Garden front shows 5
different bargeboarded gables, mostly half timbered, with brick or plaster filling;
and some tile hanging. Large mullioned and transomed windows, some of wood and
some of stone.
Terrace with low balustrade.


Listing NGR: TQ5231144359

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1.
5280 PENSHURST PENSHURST
Penshurst Road
(West Side)

Hammertower.
Hammerfield.
Culver House.
Hammerfield Cottage.
TQ 5244 22/842

II


2.
Earlier C19 house converted and extended in 1859 by George Devey for Sir James
Nasmyth, the astronomer, engineer and inventor of the steam hammer. Now divided
into 4 residences. Hammerfield Cottage, at the west end, was the former observatory
and workshop, the other dwellings form the original house. Entrance front of
2 storeys, 5 windows, with projecting, gabled, porch section, and octagonal
tower with ogee leaded roof. Irregular building typical of Devey's style, with
large-diapered brickwork and gables with ball finials. Garden front shows 5
different bargeboarded gables, mostly half timbered, with brick or plaster filling;
and some tile hanging. Large mullioned and transomed windows, some of wood and
some of stone.
Terrace with low balustrade.


Listing NGR: TQ5231144359

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.