History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Roundway, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3406 / 51°20'26"N

Longitude: -1.9999 / 1°59'59"W

OS Eastings: 400105

OS Northings: 160164

OS Grid: SU001601

Mapcode National: GBR 2V0.Z1Y

Mapcode Global: VHB4G.9K3P

Plus Code: 9C3W82R2+63

Entry Name: Broadleas

Listing Date: 19 March 1962

Last Amended: 3 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243318

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447042

Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Roundway

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Devizes St John

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in


SU 06 SW
(west side)
5/217 Broadleas
(formerly listed as Broadleas
19.3.62 House)


House, c1830-40, extended c1920-30 in matching style, ashlar with
low pitched slate eaves roof and ashlar stacks. Two-storey,
originally with 3-window fronts on three sides, that to south
extended to five c1920-30. Roof has brackets to boarded eaves
soffit. Entrance front has two front stacks, slightly recessed
centre bay and angle strips and 3 first floor 16-pane sashes with
shutters. Ground floor each side has blank elliptical arched
recess framing niche with terracotta statue and flanked by blank
rectangular panels. Centre 4-panel door with side-lights and
cornice on corbels in elliptical arched frame, set in heavy ashlar
corniced porch with Venetian tripartite front opening and arched
side openings. Porch details are unmoulded with corbel-type
consoles under impost band at heads of door and side-light jambs.
Original north and south ends had recessed centre bay, 3 upper
sashes, ground floor centre sash with similar sash in elliptical
arched recess to one side and large canted bay with parapet to the
other, all the windows with shutters. On south garden front two
further bays have been added in mirror image to make 5-window front
with centre and ends projected and canted bays to ground floor of
end bays. Various 3 and 4 storey brick service ranges in north-
east angle. House is said to have been built c1832-4 for a
Devizes builder. From the 1860s it belonged to the Ewart family.
William Ewart M.P. (1798-1869) promoter of the Free Libraries Act
(1850), and the acts for the abolition of hanging in chains (1834)
and of the death penalty for cattle theft (1837), advocate of the
abolition of capital punishment, died here.

Listing NGR: SU0010560164

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.