This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0452 / 52°2'42"N
Longitude: 1.1721 / 1°10'19"E
OS Eastings: 617621
OS Northings: 243280
OS Grid: TM176432
Mapcode National: GBR VP7.P59
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.8VHK
Entry Name: The Margaret Catchpole Public House
Listing Date: 13 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 447310
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP3
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywells
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Clement with St Luke
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 14 SE IPSWICH CLIFF LANE
The Margaret Catchpole
Public house. 1936. By Harold Ridley Cooper of Ipswich, for the Cobbold Brewery. Red-brown brick with hipped plain tile roof and prominent brick ridge and front wall lateral stacks, most with diagonally set clustered stacks with corbelled caps.
PLAN. Double-depth form, with 2 public rooms separated by an entrance/offsales area to the front, and a fan-shaped lounge at rear. Vernacular Revival style.
EXTERIOR. FRONT ELEVATION. Single storey and attic, 4-window range, with single and 3-light wooden mullion and transom windows glazed with leaded lights. 2, 3-light hipped dormers to the left oft the front wall stack. Further right, wide principal doorway with moulded brock surround and double doors. These give access to a central lobby, with 3 doorways below glazed overlights. At either end of the central range are single-storey projections with hipped roofs which have further doorways.
REAR ELEVATION: To the rear the building is canted to overlook bowling greens. Wide multi-light bow windows of mullion and transom form are set either side of the verandah, with its oversailing roof supported on circular brick piers. Further doorways and above, hipped dormers to each roof facet.
INTERIOR. Public bar to left has modified linenfold and plain fielded panelling, bolection-moulded fireplace with mirror overmantel, and herringbone wood-block flooring. Streamlined bar counter with contemporary shelving to back bar. Bar to right has a quadrant-shaped bar counter, fireplace and panelling with similar detail to that of the other rooms,
A well-preserved and almost unaltered public house of 1936 which retains its original plan form and the majority of its contemporary fittings. Its well-detailed architecture and interior ensemble make it outstanding among surviving inter-war public houses.
Listing NGR: TM1762143280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings