History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Golden Hind Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Gainsborough, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0358 / 52°2'8"N

Longitude: 1.1904 / 1°11'25"E

OS Eastings: 618923

OS Northings: 242291

OS Grid: TM189422

Mapcode National: GBR VPG.7SX

Mapcode Global: VHLC0.L356

Entry Name: The Golden Hind Hotel

Listing Date: 13 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243455

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447311

Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP3

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

Town: Ipswich

Electoral Ward/Division: Gainsborough

Built-Up Area: Ipswich

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ipswich All Hallows

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ipswich

Listing Text

IPSWICH
TM 14 SE NACTON ROAD
(South West side)
642-/12/10056
The Golden Hind Hotel

II


Public house. 1936. By Caudey and Barefoot of Ipswich for Tollemache Brewery. Red brick with stone dressings (windows and quoins now painted white). Plain-tile roof with various ornamental ridge stacks with elaborate flues. Vernacular style. Corner site. 2 storeys; 3-window range of stone mullion and transom windows with leaded lights and mainly with hood moulds. Front to Nacton Road is symmetrical and has a central 5-light window over a canted bay. Either side is an entrance with moulded arch and 2-light window over set in gables which continue down far left and right to include a single-light window. A further long horizontal window beyond. Single-storey front to Maryon Road has 4 gables with 3-light windows and a central projecting porch with moulded-arched doorway. Right end is 2 storeys and has 2 gables and a balustraded roof section to rear with a prominent clock tower, the lower section of which has blind arcading, then the clockfaces and a tall pyramidal roof with weather vane. INTERIOR. Original bars survive including that to front with oak panelling and the one to rear with stained glass to oval lantern, plasterwork cornice and borders and original bar counter and fireplace. French doors lead to original open loggia, now glazed in. Entrance hall to right has staircase with turned balusters. A finely detailed little altered pub of the period.


Listing NGR: TM1892342291

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.