History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roundway Hospital (Main Building)

A Grade II Listed Building in Devizes, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3385 / 51°20'18"N

Longitude: -1.988 / 1°59'16"W

OS Eastings: 400934

OS Northings: 159938

OS Grid: SU009599

Mapcode National: GBR 2V7.26P

Mapcode Global: VHB4G.HMD7

Entry Name: Roundway Hospital (Main Building)

Listing Date: 27 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244048

English Heritage Legacy ID: 448745

Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Roundway

Built-Up Area: Devizes

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Devizes

Listing Text

ROUNDWAY
SUO5NW WICK LANE
1383- /8/221 Roundway Hospital
(Main Building)
27/11/87

GV II

Former Wiltshire County Asylum, 1849-51 by T H Wyatt. Extended 1858,1863, 1867 and 1877 to accomodate more patients. A recreation hall was added 1897-8. Bath stone ashlar with slate roofs having overhanging bracketed eaves and ashlar stacks. Campanile type towers have pyramid roofs and ventilation cowls designed as octagonal tempietti with ogee roofs. ltalianate style. Long symmetrical front range of 2 and 3 stories: 5 rear cross-wings forming courtyards originally used for the kitchen and exercise. Central administrative block of 3 stories and basement, the end and central bays slightly projecting. The end bays have canted angles; the central bay is pedimented. Window range 1-3-3-3-1 sashes; lst floor round-arched, those in central bay arcaded corresponding to the 3 void arcaded main entrance porch below, end bays being of Venetian type. Ground floor windows with keystones. Arch-headed doorways in re-entrant angles of outer bays. Attached to this front a good cast-iron area balustrade. Flanking this block, long 2-storey ranges, with short canted-angle cross wings, all in similar style but the glazing bar sashes generally replaced with plate glass. Rear elevations in similar style with some C19 metal-framed glazing. To the SW of the kitchen, a 2-storey block with loading door and crane. Central rear courtyard block with barrel-vaulted vehicle entrance surmounted by a round-arched gable with clock. In each side are 2 doorways, each with original boot-scraper and incised on the keystones "chief male attendant" and "private" to the south and "porter" and "private" to the north. Recreation hall attached to the north; red brick with a slate roof and cylindrical ridge ventilators. 5 bays long with central entrances flanked by 2 groups of 3 staggered windows on each side. Each bay with segmental relieving arch ot-bul1nose bricks. Interiors: with some original features but mostly plain. History: built as the Wiltshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum following the 1845 Lunacy Act which required county asylums to be built.

Listing NGR: SU0093459938

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.