History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wandsworth Town Hall wandsworth Town Hall (Including Town Hall)

A Grade II Listed Building in Wandsworth, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4574 / 51°27'26"N

Longitude: -0.191 / 0°11'27"W

OS Eastings: 525777

OS Northings: 174710

OS Grid: TQ257747

Mapcode National: GBR CC.Y8J

Mapcode Global: VHGR4.MMWM

Entry Name: Wandsworth Town Hall wandsworth Town Hall (Including Town Hall)

Listing Date: 8 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244323

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449363

Location: Wandsworth, London, SW18

County: London

District: Wandsworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Fairfield

Built-Up Area: Wandsworth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Wandsworth St Anne with St Faith

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Fulham

Listing Text

WANDSWORTH HIGH STREET
TQ 2574
(north side)
1207-/12/10019 Wandsworth Town Hall Town Hall
(including walls and gates)
II

Town Hall. 1935-7 by Edward A Hunt. Portland stone and brick, hipped pantiled roof
Triangular plan adapted to busy corner site, with central forecourt leading to main entrance and
projecting first-floor council chamber to rear. Three storeys. Exterior with banded rustication
to ground floor, tripartite metal windows in unmoulded surrounds, deep eaves and moulded
cornice adorned with incised bands and decorative bands incorporating capitals to orders implied
in the vertical bands of stonework below. Bas relief frieze depicting events in Wandsworth's
history by David Evans and John Linehan. Fifteen-bay front to Wandsworth High Street
culminates in three-bay projecting wing with two-storey round-arched staircase window under
stepped architrave and fluted cornice. Canted five bay cornerpiece surmounted by finial leads
eye to fifteen-bay return to Fairfield Street with projecting three-bay terminal block. Similar
canted block with finial the other side of recessed entrance front of seven bays, with carriage
opening under Vitruvian scroll band with central coat of arms. Elaborate cast-iron railings with
rosette decoration on stone plinth, with piers topped by sarcophagal urns and double gates form
part of the composition.
Inner courtyard with Portland stone centrepiece fronting principal members' rooms, over
entrance double doors. These lead to marble-lined hall with hexagonal coffering and round
pendant lightfittings, from which imperial stair with bronze balustrades rise to upper hall, under
square piers with well and walls lined in African onyx and with pendant glass chandelier.
Committee rooms overlooking forecourt, offices for Leader of the Council and the Opposition
either side: all with English oak panelling, moulded cornices and ceilings and pink art-deco glass
hanging light fittings. Mayoral parlour with panelling, cornice mouldings, bolection-mould
fireplace with tiled surrounds and grate, and tapestry overmantle; linked via internal door to
panelled office of Town Clerk. Council chamber projects at rear of site, flat-floored with
separate, raised gallery for press and public. Canted six-sided chamber, with diagonal-paned top
lights; oak panelling with acoustic plaster and fabric hangings over. Full suite of councillors'
furniture and elaborate chandelier.
The corridors and many subsiduary rooms also panelled in English oak with moulded plaster
ceilings. Included as an unusually lavish and well-planned town hall, surviving in excellent
condition.


Listing NGR: TQ2577774710

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

WANDSWORTH HIGH STREET
TQ 2574
(north side)
1207-/12/10019 Wandsworth Town Hall Town Hall
(including walls and gates)
II

Town Hall. 1935-7 by Edward A Hunt. Portland stone and brick, hipped pantiled roof
Triangular plan adapted to busy corner site, with central forecourt leading to main entrance and
projecting first-floor council chamber to rear. Three storeys. Exterior with banded rustication
to ground floor, tripartite metal windows in unmoulded surrounds, deep eaves and moulded
cornice adorned with incised bands and decorative bands incorporating capitals to orders implied
in the vertical bands of stonework below. Bas relief frieze depicting events in Wandsworth's
history by David Evans and John Linehan. Fifteen-bay front to Wandsworth High Street
culminates in three-bay projecting wing with two-storey round-arched staircase window under
stepped architrave and fluted cornice. Canted five bay cornerpiece surmounted by finial leads
eye to fifteen-bay return to Fairfield Street with projecting three-bay terminal block. Similar
canted block with finial the other side of recessed entrance front of seven bays, with carriage
opening under Vitruvian scroll band with central coat of arms. Elaborate cast-iron railings with
rosette decoration on stone plinth, with piers topped by sarcophagal urns and double gates form
part of the composition.
Inner courtyard with Portland stone centrepiece fronting principal members' rooms, over
entrance double doors. These lead to marble-lined hall with hexagonal coffering and round
pendant lightfittings, from which imperial stair with bronze balustrades rise to upper hall, under
square piers with well and walls lined in African onyx and with pendant glass chandelier.
Committee rooms overlooking forecourt, offices for Leader of the Council and the Opposition
either side: all with English oak panelling, moulded cornices and ceilings and pink art-deco glass
hanging light fittings. Mayoral parlour with panelling, cornice mouldings, bolection-mould
fireplace with tiled surrounds and grate, and tapestry overmantle; linked via internal door to
panelled office of Town Clerk. Council chamber projects at rear of site, flat-floored with
separate, raised gallery for press and public. Canted six-sided chamber, with diagonal-paned top
lights; oak panelling with acoustic plaster and fabric hangings over. Full suite of councillors'
furniture and elaborate chandelier.
The corridors and many subsiduary rooms also panelled in English oak with moulded plaster
ceilings. Included as an unusually lavish and well-planned town hall, surviving in excellent
condition.


Listing NGR: TQ2577774710

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.