History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cooperage South Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Gosport, Hampshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7995 / 50°47'58"N

Longitude: -1.1255 / 1°7'31"W

OS Eastings: 461721

OS Northings: 100362

OS Grid: SU617003

Mapcode National: GBR VKK.DZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 86JZ.HB4

Entry Name: Cooperage South Range

Listing Date: 13 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244467

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476746

Location: Gosport, Hampshire, PO12

County: Hampshire

District: Gosport

Town: Gosport

Electoral Ward/Division: Christchurch

Built-Up Area: Gosport

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Gosport Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Gosport

Listing Text


SZ 6160 WEEVIL LANE
1137/5/10021 ROYAL CLARENCE VICTUALLING YARD
13-AUG-99 (East side)
COOPERAGE SOUTH RANGE

GV II

Cooperage at naval victualling yard; now disused. 1766. Brick with plain tile roof, hipped to the E end, and a single ridge stack. Single-depth plan in six equal sections, and 2 slightly different sections at the W end. Single storey; each section 5-window range, 2 to W divided into 13 panels.

EXTERIOR: A long range to the S side of the former cooper's square: sections separated by a fire wall rising through the roof; W sections have brick plinth, each with a central boarded door and variable distribution of windows and weather-boarded panels; the windows have 10/10-pane lights. Brick sections have segmental-arched windows with two 8-pane casements, and boarded doors to the ends. Section 3 from the E has a ridge stack.

INTERIOR: timber trusses.

HISTORY: Used for making barrels for the Navy's rum issue until it was discontinued in 1970. Built in 1766 and, like the S range, incorporates the original brewery wall of 1764. The most westerly 2 units were built as coopers' shops, the third unit as a seasoning house, and the remaining 5 units were for the storage of casks. The easternmost 3 units were altered to form a smiths shop in 1833/4 to serve the newly constructed Tank Store. At this date a small office was also added at the eastern end. A forge still remains in the building. Forms one side of the cooper's square with the W and E ranges (qv), in which barrels were stacked. Clarence is one of the first large industrial food processing plants in the country, and indicative of the considerable scale of the Navy'' victualling operation, on an important site overlooking the river.


Listing NGR: SU6165800327

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SZ 6160 WEEVIL LANE
1137/5/10021 ROYAL CLARENCE VICTUALLING YARD
13-AUG-99 (East side)
COOPERAGE SOUTH RANGE

GV II

Cooperage at naval victualling yard; now disused. 1766. Brick with plain tile roof, hipped to the E end, and a single ridge stack. Single-depth plan in six equal sections, and 2 slightly different sections at the W end. Single storey; each section 5-window range, 2 to W divided into 13 panels.

EXTERIOR: A long range to the S side of the former cooper's square: sections separated by a fire wall rising through the roof; W sections have brick plinth, each with a central boarded door and variable distribution of windows and weather-boarded panels; the windows have 10/10-pane lights. Brick sections have segmental-arched windows with two 8-pane casements, and boarded doors to the ends. Section 3 from the E has a ridge stack.

INTERIOR: timber trusses.

HISTORY: Used for making barrels for the Navy's rum issue until it was discontinued in 1970. Built in 1766 and, like the S range, incorporates the original brewery wall of 1764. The most westerly 2 units were built as coopers' shops, the third unit as a seasoning house, and the remaining 5 units were for the storage of casks. The easternmost 3 units were altered to form a smiths shop in 1833/4 to serve the newly constructed Tank Store. At this date a small office was also added at the eastern end. A forge still remains in the building. Forms one side of the cooper's square with the W and E ranges (qv), in which barrels were stacked. Clarence is one of the first large industrial food processing plants in the country, and indicative of the considerable scale of the Navy'' victualling operation, on an important site overlooking the river.


Listing NGR: SU6165800327

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.