History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Walls Extendes from Main Gate Along North and North East Side

A Grade II Listed Building in Sheerness, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4456 / 51°26'44"N

Longitude: 0.7463 / 0°44'46"E

OS Eastings: 590938

OS Northings: 175425

OS Grid: TQ909754

Mapcode National: GBR RS1.9J0

Mapcode Global: VHKJ0.WXDN

Entry Name: Boundary Walls Extendes from Main Gate Along North and North East Side

Listing Date: 13 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244508

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476728

Location: Swale, Kent, ME12

County: Kent

District: Swale

Town: Swale

Electoral Ward/Division: Sheerness

Built-Up Area: Sheerness

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Sheerness

Listing Text

TQ 9075 SE GARRISON ROAD
Sheerness Dockyard
933/5/10008
Boundary wall, extends from
15.03.1977 Main Gate along N & NE side

GV II


Dockyard boundary wall. c1824-31, by Sir John Rennie, engineer. Yellow stock brick with granite plinth and coping. Tall wall with a band of granite ashlar, above which shallow buttresses divide the wall into square panels. Extends approximately 510 metres NW from the Main Gate (qv), and meets the Boat Basin (qv). Interrupted by Jetty Road entrance. HISTORY: built by Rennie to enclose his complete rebuilding of the Sheerness yard in the 18205. Part of a group with the boundary wall to the S (qv). (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 182; Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851: 41 ).


Listing NGR: TQ9093875425

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

TQ 9075 SE GARRISON ROAD
Sheerness Dockyard
933/5/10008
Boundary wall, extends from
15.03.1977 Main Gate along N & NE side

GV II


Dockyard boundary wall. c1824-31, by Sir John Rennie, engineer. Yellow stock brick with granite plinth and coping. Tall wall with a band of granite ashlar, above which shallow buttresses divide the wall into square panels. Extends approximately 510 metres NW from the Main Gate (qv), and meets the Boat Basin (qv). Interrupted by Jetty Road entrance. HISTORY: built by Rennie to enclose his complete rebuilding of the Sheerness yard in the 18205. Part of a group with the boundary wall to the S (qv). (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 182; Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851: 41 ).


Listing NGR: TQ9093875425

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.