History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Bowerchalke, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0063 / 51°0'22"N

Longitude: -1.975 / 1°58'30"W

OS Eastings: 401849

OS Northings: 122990

OS Grid: SU018229

Mapcode National: GBR 2Z3.ZCY

Mapcode Global: FRA 66RG.8D5

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 15 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244671

English Heritage Legacy ID: 450063

Location: Bowerchalke, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bowerchalke

Built-Up Area: Bowerchalke

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bowerchalke Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Broad Chalke

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

BOWER CHALKE

CHURCH STREET,
SU02SW Bowerchalke
The Old Vicarage
1362-0/6/10001

GV II
Vicarage; now a private house. Circa 1840; late C20 extension. Chilmark stone, dressed at
front and with dressed quoins. Slate hipped roof with lead rolled hips and ridge. 2 red brick
axial stacks with moulded white clay pots. PLAN: Double-depth rectangular plan with 2
principal front rooms facing the garden, entrance on the right [NE] side to central stairhall
and with small service rooms at the back. Small late C20 single-storey extension on the left
[SW] side. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 2-window SE garden front with C19
16-pane sashes with stone cills. Doorway on right [NE] side with panelled and glazed door
and C20 glazed porch and with 12-pane sash above. Symmetrical 3-window rear elevation
with small 2-light casements with glazing bars; centre ground floor single-light casement.
INTERIOR: The interior is basically complete except that an opening has been made in the
wall between the two front rooms. The joinery is largely intact and includes panelled doors
and window shutters and a staircase with stick balusters and turned newels with finials. The
front right room, study and reputedly Collett's library, has a simple wooden chimneypiece.
The chimneypiece in the left room has been replaced. HISTORY: The Revd Edward
Collett lived at the vicarage from 1878 to 1924, where he published his weekly newspaper
the 'Parish Papers', described as "a remarkable record in village journalism". It was written
and printed privately on his own press at the vicarage. SOURCE: Sawyer,R.L., The
Bowerchalke Parish Papers, Collett's Village Newspaper 1878-1924


Listing NGR: SU0184922990

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.