This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7802 / 53°46'48"N
Longitude: -2.6879 / 2°41'16"W
OS Eastings: 354767
OS Northings: 431759
OS Grid: SD547317
Mapcode National: GBR TCP.TV
Mapcode Global: WH85M.P77W
Plus Code: 9C5VQ8J6+3R
Entry Name: FORMER ARTILLERY BARRACKS (BUILDING 40), fULWOOD BARRACKS
Listing Date: 29 March 1982
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472868
Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Garrison
Built-Up Area: Fulwood
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Fulwood Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD53SW FULWOOD WATLING STREET ROAD
(North side )
1023/7/10012 Former Artillery barracks (Building 40), Fulwood
Infantry barrack. 1842-48, by Major T Foster RE, for the Ordnance Board. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with ashlar cross-axial ridge stacks and slate roof. Late Georgian style single-depth plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 29-window range. Long range of uneven 1:6:6:7:6:3-window sections divided by coped party walls with a ridge stack, the long sections each with a pair of central ridge stacks, ends slightly recessed. Outer sections have plain ashlar surrounds to doorways with mid C20 doors; original doorways, with canted lintels inscribed from 1-12, to front and rear elevations replaced by windows, end flat-headed and inner segmental-arched windows with 6/6-pane sashes, most replaced by matching late C20 top-hung casements. In the centre are 3 small ground- and first-floor inserted mid C20 windows, probably in a formerly blind wall; tethering hooks survive. Similar rear elevation. 3-window N gable with original doorway and flanking mid C20 casements; S gable obscured by ground floor single storey 2-bay block with a shallow leaded roof
INTERIOR: not inspected, but reported to have dogleg stairs from the entrances with metal balusters.
HISTORY: One of a matching pair of barracks on either side of Cavalry Square, for either a squadron of cavalry or a demi-battalion of artillery. The central section may have contained stables, with first-floor troop rooms. The barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. Although the south-east barrack range has been lost, the original plan of two parade squares within a defensible perimeter wall is substantially intact, making Fulwood the most complete example in England of the late C18 concept of barracks design.
(PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).
Listing NGR: SD5476731759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings