This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7811 / 53°46'51"N
Longitude: -2.6862 / 2°41'10"W
OS Eastings: 354877
OS Northings: 431856
OS Grid: SD548318
Mapcode National: GBR TCY.04
Mapcode Global: WH85M.Q716
Plus Code: 9C5VQ8J7+CG
Entry Name: Former Hospital (Building 56), Fulwood Barracks
Listing Date: 29 March 1982
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244762
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472870
Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Garrison
Built-Up Area: Fulwood
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Fulwood Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD53SW FULWOOD WATLING STREET ROAD
1023/7/10013 Former Hospital
(Building 56), Fulwood Barracks 29.3.1982
Hospital, now medical centre. Dated 1844, by Major T Foster RE, for the Ordnance Board. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with ashlar cross-axial ridge and lateral stacks and slate hipped roof Late Georgian style. Single-depth plan in two sections each with a central rear ablution pavilion. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 5:9-window range. Near symmetrical front with steps up to central entrances to each section with plain ashlar surrounds, 8-pane overlights and mid C20 doors, and late C20 6/6-pane top-hung casements. Wider right-hand section has short rear wings including a 3-window right-hand return with blocked ground-floor windows, and a short central pavilion with a narrow passage of 2 round ashlar arches with 3-pane overlights and a blocked doorway with imposts, connecting to wider rear ablution tower, all with rear lateral stacks. A similar rear pavilion to the rear of the left-hand section. Hoppers inscribed VR 1844.
INTERIOR: has entrance stair halls to dogleg stairs with column newels, stick balusters and uncut strings, and rear axial passages.
HISTORY: the right-hand section was for the infantry and that to the left for the cavalry. The barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. Although the south-east barrack range has been lost, the original plan of two parade squares within a defensible perimeter wall is substantially intact, making Fulwood the most complete example in England of the late C18 concept of barrack design.
(PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).
Listing NGR: SD5487731856
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings