History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Perimeter Wall Extending Aprroximately 150 Metres Along North End of Fulwood Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Fulwood, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7811 / 53°46'51"N

Longitude: -2.6881 / 2°41'17"W

OS Eastings: 354754

OS Northings: 431855

OS Grid: SD547318

Mapcode National: GBR TCN.D1

Mapcode Global: WH85M.P746

Entry Name: North Perimeter Wall Extending Aprroximately 150 Metres Along North End of Fulwood Barracks

Listing Date: 29 March 1982

Last Amended: 4 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244767

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472875

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR2

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Garrison

Built-Up Area: Fulwood

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Fulwood Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text

SD53SW FULWOOD WATLING STREET ROAD
(North side)
1023/7/10015 North perimeter wall extending approx 150m along N end of Fulwood
29.3.1982 Barracks

GV II

Perimeter wall. 1843-48, by Major T Foster, for the Ordnance Board. Snecked sandstone ashlar. Tall wall with half-round coping extends approximately 150m along N side, including blocked rifle holes giving field of fire up across former central entrance, and NW projecting corner giving similar cover to W side.
HISTORY: the perimeter wall originally had canted E and W sides covered by rifle slots in projecting corners at both ends, and formed a projecting triangle to the entrances in the N and S ends, also covered by rifle slots. The barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. Although sections have been lost, the surviving lengths form an important part of the original plan of the barracks, the only example of a defensible barracks in England. Part of the most complete example in Britain of the late C18 concept of barracks design. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).


Listing NGR: SD5475431855

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SD53SW FULWOOD WATLING STREET ROAD
(North side)
1023/7/10015 North perimeter wall extending approx 150m along N end of Fulwood
29.3.1982 Barracks

GV II

Perimeter wall. 1843-48, by Major T Foster, for the Ordnance Board. Snecked sandstone ashlar. Tall wall with half-round coping extends approximately 150m along N side, including blocked rifle holes giving field of fire up across former central entrance, and NW projecting corner giving similar cover to W side.
HISTORY: the perimeter wall originally had canted E and W sides covered by rifle slots in projecting corners at both ends, and formed a projecting triangle to the entrances in the N and S ends, also covered by rifle slots. The barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. Although sections have been lost, the surviving lengths form an important part of the original plan of the barracks, the only example of a defensible barracks in England. Part of the most complete example in Britain of the late C18 concept of barracks design. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).


Listing NGR: SD5475431855

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.