History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Proctors Works with Attached Chimney

A Grade II Listed Building in Burnley, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7882 / 53°47'17"N

Longitude: -2.2461 / 2°14'45"W

OS Eastings: 383883

OS Northings: 432460

OS Grid: SD838324

Mapcode National: GBR DSRM.JS

Mapcode Global: WHB83.G1NQ

Entry Name: Proctors Works with Attached Chimney

Listing Date: 3 June 1991

Last Amended: 19 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244816

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467067

Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

Town: Burnley

Electoral Ward/Division: Daneshouse with Stoneyholme

Built-Up Area: Burnley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burnley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text


BURNLEY

SD8332SE HAMMERTON STREET
906-1/19/69 (East side)
03/06/91 Proctors' Works with attached
chimney
(Formerly Listed as:
HAMMERTON STREET
Proctors Ironworks)

GV II

Formerly known as: Cow Lane Cotton Factory HAMMERTON STREET.
Cotton spinning mill, subsequently iron works. Built between
1827 and 1844, with engine house and chimney added between
1844 and 1851; late C19 additions to the front and south end,
including offices and a large crosswing which was formerly a
roller skating rink with a provision store in the basement.
Mostly unoccupied at time of survey (1991). Coursed squared
sandstone, with slate roofs.
PLAN: the principal element is a rectangular spinning block
built on the west bank of the River Calder; with a rectangular
engine house a short distance from the north end (now linked
to it by infilling); and a chimney very close to the west side
of this.
EXTERIOR: the spinning block is a 4-storey 8-window range, the
west front mostly covered by later additions built in the
former yard, and the rear (overlooking the river) with
vertical rectangular windows which have raised sills and plain
lintels, and a tall round-headed window close to the north
end, all these windows now blocked with brick. It has gable
copings with kneelers.
A full-height one-window link of random rubble joins the
spinning block to the 4-storey 2-window boiler house, which
has similar windows in the rear wall but at the front has
remains of one semicircular arch at ground floor level, and 3
loading doorways above this.
The chimney, approximately 0.5m from the front of the boiler
house, is circular with 20 metal straps and a massive square
plinth.
INTERIOR: the spinning block has wooden floors carried on
wooden beams supported by a single row of cast-iron columns in
the centre of each floor; the engine house has been
remodelled, with iron beams to the floors; and the former
skating rink incorporates a spectators' gallery round a well.


Listing NGR: SD8388332460

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BURNLEY

SD8332SE HAMMERTON STREET
906-1/19/69 (East side)
03/06/91 Proctors' Works with attached
chimney
(Formerly Listed as:
HAMMERTON STREET
Proctors Ironworks)

GV II

Formerly known as: Cow Lane Cotton Factory HAMMERTON STREET.
Cotton spinning mill, subsequently iron works. Built between
1827 and 1844, with engine house and chimney added between
1844 and 1851; late C19 additions to the front and south end,
including offices and a large crosswing which was formerly a
roller skating rink with a provision store in the basement.
Mostly unoccupied at time of survey (1991). Coursed squared
sandstone, with slate roofs.
PLAN: the principal element is a rectangular spinning block
built on the west bank of the River Calder; with a rectangular
engine house a short distance from the north end (now linked
to it by infilling); and a chimney very close to the west side
of this.
EXTERIOR: the spinning block is a 4-storey 8-window range, the
west front mostly covered by later additions built in the
former yard, and the rear (overlooking the river) with
vertical rectangular windows which have raised sills and plain
lintels, and a tall round-headed window close to the north
end, all these windows now blocked with brick. It has gable
copings with kneelers.
A full-height one-window link of random rubble joins the
spinning block to the 4-storey 2-window boiler house, which
has similar windows in the rear wall but at the front has
remains of one semicircular arch at ground floor level, and 3
loading doorways above this.
The chimney, approximately 0.5m from the front of the boiler
house, is circular with 20 metal straps and a massive square
plinth.
INTERIOR: the spinning block has wooden floors carried on
wooden beams supported by a single row of cast-iron columns in
the centre of each floor; the engine house has been
remodelled, with iron beams to the floors; and the former
skating rink incorporates a spectators' gallery round a well.


Listing NGR: SD8388332460

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.