This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7777 / 53°46'39"N
Longitude: -2.2423 / 2°14'32"W
OS Eastings: 384126
OS Northings: 431284
OS Grid: SD841312
Mapcode National: GBR DSSR.BK
Mapcode Global: WHB83.J9FT
Entry Name: Lower Howorth Fold Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467083
Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11
Electoral Ward/Division: Rosehill with Burnley Wood
Built-Up Area: Burnley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burnley (Habergham Eaves) St Matthew the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD83SW HOWORTH ROAD, Burnley Wood
906-1/3/168 (West side)
29/09/77 Lower Howorth Fold Farmhouse
Farmhouse (probably part of a formerly larger building); now
house. Probably earlier C17, with additions of C18 and C19
(dated 1777 on lintel of doorway); altered, and a C20 swimming
pool recently added at the north end. Sandstone, the main
range rendered and the additions of coursed rubble with
quoins, all painted white (with dressings painted black);
stone slate roof.
PLAN: unusual plan of 2 unequal units which appear to have
been built at different times, with a short parallel wing
added to the front of the larger southern unit (probably in
the C18) and a service wing added to the rear of the northern
unit (probably in the C19).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, including a full basement to the northern
unit, 1:2 windows. The southern unit of the main range has a
moulded Tudor-arched doorway close to the angle with the wing,
with a plain surround and large lettering inscribed on the
lintel "H / G E 1777", and a studded board door, a small
oblong 2-light window to the right with a chamfered flush
mullion, and a recessed 2-light casement with chamfered
surround immediately under the eaves; the northern unit has
double-chamfered mullioned windows to all 3 levels: 2 and 3
lights at basement level, 6-lights to the raised ground floor,
with a hood-mould, and 4 lights at 1st floor. The front wall
of the wing has one recessed 4-light window on each floor,
both with ovolo-moulded mullions (probably re-used). Gable
chimney to left, ridge chimney at junction.
Rear: the southern unit has a king-mullioned window of 3+3
lights at ground floor and a 4-light window above, both with
chamfered flush mullions; and the north side of the rear wing
has a 3-light flush-mullioned window at 1st floor.
INTERIOR: the northern unit has the ground floor raised
approximately 1m, below this a full basement with some
timber-framed wattle-and-daub partitioning; and at 1st floor a
pair of massive crudely-chamfered axial beams, and a cupboard
recess in the chimney stack, with a moulded plaster surround;
the southern unit has a similar pair of beams at ground floor.
Forms group with Howorth Fold Poultry Farmhouse to the north
Listing NGR: SD8412631284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings