This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7748 / 53°46'29"N
Longitude: -2.2556 / 2°15'20"W
OS Eastings: 383254
OS Northings: 430968
OS Grid: SD832309
Mapcode National: GBR DSPS.GL
Mapcode Global: WHB83.BD51
Plus Code: 9C5VQPFV+WQ
Entry Name: The Castle
Listing Date: 29 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244912
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467135
Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11
Electoral Ward/Division: Rosehill with Burnley Wood
Built-Up Area: Burnley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burnley (Habergham Eaves) St Matthew the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD83SW MANCHESTER ROAD, Rose Hill
906-1/3/241 (East side)
House. Dated 1908 on rainwater head. By Edgar Wood; altered
and slightly enlarged. Snecked sandstone rubble, flat concrete
roof with asphalt cladding (concealed by parapet). Eclectic
style combining Modernist form with Arts-and-Crafts and
Vernacular Revival detailing.
PLAN: square plan with principal facades to west, south and
east, plus small courtyard and outbuilding attached to north
side and north-east corner respectively.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and 3 windows in an asymmetric
composition, the walls carried up without interruption to form
a parapet with flat stone coping (carried round), the doorway
to the left and a full-height canted bay window to the right.
The doorway, up 3 segmental steps, has a deeply splayed reveal
protected by a segmental cornice with free "dentilled"
enrichment to the rim, and a recessed studded board door;
above the cornice is a shallow vertical slot (or sunk panel)
carried up to the parapet, containing a very small 2-light
mullioned window immediately over the cornice, a tall window
at 1st floor, and an upstand in the parapet with a small
2-light opening which echoes the mullioned window below and
has a lintel with nailhead enrichment. In the centre is a
cross-window at ground floor and a 3-light mullioned window
above; and to the right the canted bay which has a
mullion-and-transom window at ground floor, a mullioned window
above, and a raised parapet with an opening like that to the
left. All these windows have flush flat-faced surrounds and
leaded glazing, and some have cast-iron casement openings.
Chimney behind parapet. The 2-window south facade has a
full-height canted bay to the right, like that at the front
but larger, a cross-window to the left and a 1-light window
above this, and a rainwater head with raised lettering "1908".
The east facade (which has added render at 1st floor) has a
single-storey canted bay window to the left with an enriched
upstand to the parapet, 3-light mullioned windows on each
floor to the right, and a service wing attached to the rear
corner (formerly single-storey but now raised to 2 storeys).
The rear has (inter alia) a 2-stage stair-window, various
2-light mullioned windows, and an attached courtyard wall with
a round-headed doorway.
INTERIOR: details altered, but simple dog-legged staircase and
some original fittings survive.
Forms group with front garden wall (qv).
Listing NGR: SD8325430968
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings