This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8985 / 51°53'54"N
Longitude: -2.0876 / 2°5'15"W
OS Eastings: 394071
OS Northings: 222223
OS Grid: SO940222
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.T7B
Mapcode Global: VH947.RJRY
Plus Code: 9C3VVWX6+CX
Entry Name: The Grange and Grange Wing and Attached Balustrade to Rear
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474981
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422SW MALVERN ROAD
630-1/12/516 (East side)
14/12/83 The Grange (Nos.1 and 2) and Grange
Wing and attached balustrade to rear
(Formerly Listed as:
Villa, now 3 dwellings and attached balustrade to rear. 1838.
By RW and C Jearrad, for Rev Francis Close. Stucco over brick
with slate roof, tall gault brick ridge stacks and iron window
guards and balustrade. Central hallway plan with asymmetrical
facades. Domestic Tudor style.
EXTERIOR: entrance facade has 2 storeys with attics to outer
gabled ranges which project and have linking ground-floor
porch, 3 first-floor windows. Tripartite windows with 4/4
between 2/2 sashes. Windows to left part have external
Venetian shutters. All windows in chamfered reveals and with
hoodmoulds. Attics have 2/2 sashes; further attic roof dormer
to centre has 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil in gable.
Central entrance in chamfered, 4-centred surround with roll
and cavetto-moulded hood and decoration to spandrels;
part-glazed, 9-panel door with sidelights and shaped
overlight. Kneelers and shaped copings to gables.
Garden facade: 2 storeys with attic to projecting gabled bay
at left, 3 first-floor windows. From left, a tripartite window
with 4/4 between 2/2 sashes, some pink-glass panes; tall 6/6
sash and rectangular bay window with 1/1 sashes; first-floor
has tripartite window with 4/4 between 2/2 sashes, two 3/6
sashes; attic has 2/2 sash, all (except bay) with hoodmoulds;
bay has cornice. Kneelers and copings to gable. Skylight. Rear
retains 6/6 sashes.
INTERIOR: to inner hall are 4-panel, part-glazed studded
4-centred doors in chamfered surround. To rear a dogleg
staircase with stick balusters and run-out handrail; otherwise
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: external slatted shutters at left, to
front facade. Window box to left, first-floor window to garden
facade has arcade and X-motif balusters. To rear a balustrade
to steps with scrolled lozenge motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the cost of building was met by public
subscription. Rev Francis Close was appointed to the living of
the parish Church of St Mary, Church Street (qv) 1826-56 by
the evangelical Simeon Trustees; Tennyson dubbed him the Pope
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 31,33,39; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide 1850:
Cheltenham: 1845-1969: 33).
Listing NGR: SO9406222227
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings