This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8963 / 51°53'46"N
Longitude: -2.0812 / 2°4'52"W
OS Eastings: 394509
OS Northings: 221976
OS Grid: SO945219
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.2N4
Mapcode Global: VH947.WL3N
Plus Code: 9C3VVWW9+GG
Entry Name: Montpellier Arcade montpellier Arcade and Attached Gates
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245181
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474989
Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421NE MONTPELLIER AVENUE
630-1/18/521 (West side)
12/03/55 Nos.7-11 (Consecutive)
Montpellier Arcade and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
Entrances to Montpellier Arcade and
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Includes: Nos.12-17 Montpellier Arcade MONTPELLIER STREET.
Shopping arcade, incorporating terrace of 5 shops with flats
over and entrance to Montpellier Avenue, 6 shops with flats
over to Montpellier Street and further entrance, with 2 pairs
of double gates. 1831-2 with later alterations including late
C19 and C20 ground-floor shop fronts and late C20
restorations. By RW and C Jearrad. Ashlar over brick with
mansard slate roof and brick stack, with iron gates.
PLAN: U-shaped with entrance to narrow side and to Montpellier
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic storey to centre of entrance
range and attic dormers to mansard; half basement to left
(Montpellier Street) side, 3 bays to entrance facade with 6
first-floor windows to left side and 8 to right. Main (south)
entrance range: central breakforward has 2 tall round arches
on Doric pilasters with dentil cornices, arches have tooled
head and keystones; the right arch is open, the left arch has
glazed shop front and fanlight with radial glazing bars; above
arches a frieze inscribed 'MONTPELLIER ARCADE', and cornice
which continues across side ranges, upper stage at centre has
3 pilasters (to centre and ends) and two 1/1 sashes at left
and 2/2 sash to right, with crowning cornice breaking forward
as capitals to pilasters and anthemion acroteria to centre and
ends of blocking course. Outer bays have ground-floor shop
fronts, that to right has bevelled glass and central pilaster
mullion between pilasters; first floor has 3/6 and 3/3 sashes
with tooled architraves and cornices on console brackets;
crowning balustrade at left; 3/3 sashes to attic dormers.
Returns (alike) have outer bays breaking forwards. To right
(east) side an entrance below 7th window. Pilasters between
ground-floor shop windows and to entrance and doorways, frieze
and cornice, with dentils to left side; first-floor sill band
(interrupted by windows in places), tooled architraves to
first-floor windows, those to outer breakforwards have
cornices on console brackets. First floor has 2/2, 3/3 and 3/6
sashes, all in plain reveals. Attics have 3/3 sashes.
Ground-floor shop fronts: mainly plate glass panels with
slender fluted half-columnar mullions with Corinthian caps,
friezes have 3-light, round-headed windows; part-glazed doors
and double-doors with overlights.
INTERIOR: the centre of the Arcade is a walkway, lit to rear
by skylight; similar pilasters, frieze and dentil cornice
articulate the ground floor with inner arcade of 2 round
arches with keystones; the entrance ceiling is arched and has
ceiling rose. The first floor has mainly 6/6 sashes in plain
reveals. Renewed shop fronts, except to No.13 which has
multi-paned window on plinth and forms a model for the rest.
Interiors of shops retain some original plasterwork including
embellished cornices, No.13 also has staircase with stick
balusters. Otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: double entrance gates have tall bars with
fleurs-de-lys finials and frieze to lower part, ramped down to
centre; with hinge posts made of similar railings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the arcade belongs to the first stage of the
Montpellier shopping development; originally the Arcade had 16
shops. One of the earlier provincial English shopping arcades
pre-dated by, but more complete than, Upper and Lower Arcade,
Bristol (1825) and contemporary with Royal Arcade, Newcastle.
It belongs to Geist's 'Period of Fashion' arcades (1820-40),
the first period being that of Invention (pre-1820).
Rowe's Guide to Cheltenham written in 1845 but published in
1850 indicates that these were occupied (from right to left)
by Crux and Chillcott, Montpellier Silk Mercery and Lace
Establishment; entrance to Arcade; Mrs Elliot, Corset and Stay
Maker. He wrote of the Arcade, 'although not extensive, yet
presents a pleasing coup d'oeil from the upper entrance. It is
furnished with shops and lighted by a glazed roof'.
(Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969:
24; Blake S: 'The Building of the Montpellier Shops':
Cheltenham Local History Society Journal: 1984-; Geist JF:
Arcades The History of a Building Type: London: 1985-).
Listing NGR: SO9450421981
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings