History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Arsenal Royal Laboratory West Pavillion

A Grade II Listed Building in Greenwich, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4933 / 51°29'35"N

Longitude: 0.0687 / 0°4'7"E

OS Eastings: 543705

OS Northings: 179183

OS Grid: TQ437791

Mapcode National: GBR NJ.PYW

Mapcode Global: VHHNK.4QNL

Entry Name: Royal Arsenal Royal Laboratory West Pavillion

Listing Date: 8 June 1973

Last Amended: 9 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245208

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468770

Location: Greenwich, London, SE18

County: London

District: Greenwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Woolwich Riverside

Built-Up Area: Greenwich

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Woolwich St Mary Magdalene with St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
North Woolwich

Listing Text

TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18
(North side)
786/9/50
Royal Arsenal
08/06/50 Royal Laboratory W Pavilion

GV II

Gunpowder works, W pavilion, now disused. Part of the Royal Laboratory 1694-6, extended and altered 1802, partly demolished. Flemish bond brick with stone dressings and slate hipped roof. Single-depth plan. 2 storeys; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has a pedimented entrance bay set forward, with rusticated voussoirs, plinth and plat band; the doorway has a good surround with eared architrave and a console cornice, set below first-floor architrave with foliate brackets to an eared architrave with a lion key. The pediment contains a cartouche with the arms of William III. Rubbed brick flat arches with keys to altered or blocked sashes. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as having no internal division or flooring and a C19 iron roof. HISTORICAL NOTE: The oldest part of the Arsenal, and possibly the oldest Ordnance buildings in the country: one of a pair of pavilions with that to the E (qv) which are the only surviving part of a larger building, to which the Royal Laboratory for the manufacture of fireworks and gunpowder transferred when it moved from Greenwich in 1695. It had cross windows, lower buildings each side, and the yard was closed to the N and S with gate piers from which came the lion and unicorn finials now on the Board Room (qv). The courtyard between the two pavilions was covered in 1854, and contained the largest milling machinery space in the world when it was completed. This was demolished mid 1950s.
(Wesley H, The Royal Arsenal: a brief history, London, 1987, p.12; RCHME report, 1994)

Listing NGR: TQ4295478475

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.