This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.894 / 51°53'38"N
Longitude: -2.0988 / 2°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 393294
OS Northings: 221716
OS Grid: SO932217
Mapcode National: GBR 2M9.B5M
Mapcode Global: VH947.KNSG
Plus Code: 9C3VVWV2+HF
Entry Name: Dean Close House
Listing Date: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245387
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474864
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO92SW LANSDOWN ROAD
630-1/1/445 (South side)
Dean Close House
House. Dated 1875 to entrance porch. Coursed stone over brick
with ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof and ashlar end
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3:2:2 first-floor windows. End bays break
forwards. Chamfered plinth; quoins to angles; stepped
first-floor band which acts as cornice over ground-floor
windows and first-floor sill band; tooled architraves to
windows with embellished console brackets to ground-floor
windows. 1/1 horned sashes. Wide eaves. West (entrance)
facade: 2 storeys, 2 first-floor windows. End breakforwards.
Detailing as for front facade; third bay occupied by
projecting stack. Steps to central entrance set behind wide
opening with 2 Doric columns; panelled door between 1/1
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly called 'Caynham', it was the home in
1891 of Liet-Col C Berkeley Calcott.
The largest and grandest house on the south side of Lansdown
Road. Although considerably later in date than other
Cheltenham villas in the Classical tradition, this example is
particularly notable for its high quality of design and
detail, in particular for the unusually competent use of
(Pollock K: Notes).
Listing NGR: SO9329921710
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings