History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Custom House

A Grade II Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8672 / 51°52'1"N

Longitude: -2.2523 / 2°15'8"W

OS Eastings: 382724

OS Northings: 218765

OS Grid: SO827187

Mapcode National: GBR 1KZ.TN1

Mapcode Global: VH94B.XB5G

Entry Name: Old Custom House

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245477

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472582

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Maisemore

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO8218NE THE QUAY
844-1/7/369 (East side)
23/01/52 Old Custom House

GV II

Custom House from c1700 until 1800, subsequently used for
various purposes, now offices. Early C18 with a late C18
addition to the front built by agreement with the City Council
in order to increase the office accommodation for the customs
officers; an addition at rear originally a dwelling. Ashlar,
rendered brick, slate roof. A narrow rectangular block; the
upper floors of the addition to the front are supported on a
colonnade facing the quay; the ground floor originally a large
store room, offices on the upper floors.
EXTERIOR: three storeys; on the ground floor the colonnade
with two slender cast-iron columns between ashlar corner piers
and at each return end an archway with impost blocks, cornice
at first-floor level; the extension above the colonnade two
bays in width and one-bay deep is framed by shallow, giant
pilasters, slightly inset at the corners, and with moulded
bases and capitals; crowning entablature with panelled parapet
with moulded coping; on the front on each upper floor two
sashes and on each side on the first floor a sash and and on
the second floor an infilled window; all the sashes with
glazing bars (3x4 panes) in similar openings with moulded
sills; set centrally on the front between the first and second
floors a weathered stone panel carved with the royal arms.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: in 1724 the Corporation agreed to give land, either
for an extension or a new building.

Listing NGR: SO8272418764

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


GLOUCESTER

SO8218NE THE QUAY
844-1/7/369 (East side)
23/01/52 Old Custom House

GV II

Custom House from c1700 until 1800, subsequently used for
various purposes, now offices. Early C18 with a late C18
addition to the front built by agreement with the City Council
in order to increase the office accommodation for the customs
officers; an addition at rear originally a dwelling. Ashlar,
rendered brick, slate roof. A narrow rectangular block; the
upper floors of the addition to the front are supported on a
colonnade facing the quay; the ground floor originally a large
store room, offices on the upper floors.
EXTERIOR: three storeys; on the ground floor the colonnade
with two slender cast-iron columns between ashlar corner piers
and at each return end an archway with impost blocks, cornice
at first-floor level; the extension above the colonnade two
bays in width and one-bay deep is framed by shallow, giant
pilasters, slightly inset at the corners, and with moulded
bases and capitals; crowning entablature with panelled parapet
with moulded coping; on the front on each upper floor two
sashes and on each side on the first floor a sash and and on
the second floor an infilled window; all the sashes with
glazing bars (3x4 panes) in similar openings with moulded
sills; set centrally on the front between the first and second
floors a weathered stone panel carved with the royal arms.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: in 1724 the Corporation agreed to give land, either
for an extension or a new building.

Listing NGR: SO8272418764

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.