This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.864 / 51°51'50"N
Longitude: -2.2505 / 2°15'1"W
OS Eastings: 382849
OS Northings: 218414
OS Grid: SO828184
Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.1VV
Mapcode Global: VH94B.YD4W
Entry Name: City Flour Mills
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472554
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8218SE THE DOCKS
844-1/11/339 City Flour Mills
Flour mills, warehouse and office block. 1850 and probably
1854. Built for J and J Hadley, millers; the warehouse damaged
by fire 1888 and partly rebuilt incorporating silos for the
storage of wheat in bulk; a large wing on the south side
facing Commercial Road and containing additional silos added
c1898; a large concrete silo added 1964 is not included.
Brick, ashlar, timber hoist housings, slate roofs.
PLAN: one block comprising two parallel, end-gabled warehouses
at right angle to Commercial Road, the earlier and smaller of
the two on the east side, C20 extensions on the west side of
the larger warehouse; adjoining to the south-east the office
block facing south with wing to rear left.
EXTERIOR: the east warehouse of four storeys and attic, the
south warehouse of five storeys and attic, both with loading
door openings in the centre of their end-gabled walls.
West warehouse in the gable-end walls on each side of the
loading doors on the upper floors has hinged casements with
glazing bars in openings with brick segmental arches, on the
ground floor a carriageway to left in the south gable-end wall
with a semicircular brick arch set with a projecting keystone;
a projecting, gabled, timber winch housing to the loading
doors to the upper floors with louvred openings to each floor.
The south elevation of the office block, c1850, faced in
ashlar, has an offset plinth and a crowning cornice with
blocking course; three stone steps to central doorway with
rectangular fanlight, the opening framed by a moulded
architrave and floating cornice on moulded consoles, panelled
double doors and margin lights in the fanlight; on each side
of doorway a C20 casement and on the first floor two original
sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes) in original openings with
projecting stone sills; the later C19 rear wing of brick has
sashes with central vertical glazing bars.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(Conway-Jones H: Gloucester Docks An Illustrated History:
Gloucester: 1984-: 168).
Listing NGR: SO8284918413
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings