History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drinking Fountain on West Side of North Gate

A Grade II Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8643 / 51°51'51"N

Longitude: -2.2515 / 2°15'5"W

OS Eastings: 382779

OS Northings: 218438

OS Grid: SO827184

Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.1M3

Mapcode Global: VH94B.XDLQ

Entry Name: Drinking Fountain on West Side of North Gate

Listing Date: 15 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472556

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hempstead

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO8218SE THE DOCKS
844-1/11/341 Drinking Fountain on west side of
North Gate

GV II

Drinking fountain. Within the North Gate (not included) on the
wall between the west side of the roadway and the Gloucester
City Council Offices car park. 1863. Cast-iron and stuccoed
brick. Drinking fountain to left and hydrant to right set into
an stuccoed semicircular arched panel framed by a bull-nosed
moulding.
Installed by the former Gloucester City Board of Health in
response to a request from merchants operating in the Docks to
provide a public drinking fountain for the benefit of their
workers.

Listing NGR: SO8277918438

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


GLOUCESTER

SO8218SE THE DOCKS
844-1/11/341 Drinking Fountain on west side of
North Gate

GV II

Drinking fountain. Within the North Gate (not included) on the
wall between the west side of the roadway and the Gloucester
City Council Offices car park. 1863. Cast-iron and stuccoed
brick. Drinking fountain to left and hydrant to right set into
an stuccoed semicircular arched panel framed by a bull-nosed
moulding.
Installed by the former Gloucester City Board of Health in
response to a request from merchants operating in the Docks to
provide a public drinking fountain for the benefit of their
workers.

Listing NGR: SO8277918438

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.