History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dry Dock South of Engine House Including Crane

A Grade II Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8626 / 51°51'45"N

Longitude: -2.2541 / 2°15'14"W

OS Eastings: 382598

OS Northings: 218249

OS Grid: SO825182

Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.0YK

Mapcode Global: VH94B.WG60

Entry Name: Dry Dock South of Engine House Including Crane

Listing Date: 12 March 1973

Last Amended: 15 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245602

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472558

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hempstead

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO8218SE THE DOCKS
844-1/11/343 Dry Dock south of Engine House,
12/03/73 including crane
(Formerly Listed as:
THE DOCKS
Dry Dock (adjacent to Alexandra
Warehouse))

GV II

Dry or graving dock. 1852-3. Built by William Guest for the
Gloucester and Berkeley Canal Company. Brick-lined basin
capped by stone kerbs with a protective railing of slender
cast-iron bollards linked by pairs of pipe rails. Entry to
dock from the south-west side of Main Basin through a pair of
timber gates surmounted by footbridges; continuous stepped
revetments to sides and semicircular end of dock basin, with
iron late C19 crane. The dock preceded completion of the
Gloucester and Dean Forest railway line opened in 1854. It was
built in order to facilitate the repair of vessels in and the
export of coal from Gloucester, rather than go to a South
Wales port for repairs and then pick up coal for export.
(Original Drawings in Gloucestershire Records Office: D2460
Drawings 9-F).

Listing NGR: SO8259818249

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


GLOUCESTER

SO8218SE THE DOCKS
844-1/11/343 Dry Dock south of Engine House,
12/03/73 including crane
(Formerly Listed as:
THE DOCKS
Dry Dock (adjacent to Alexandra
Warehouse))

GV II

Dry or graving dock. 1852-3. Built by William Guest for the
Gloucester and Berkeley Canal Company. Brick-lined basin
capped by stone kerbs with a protective railing of slender
cast-iron bollards linked by pairs of pipe rails. Entry to
dock from the south-west side of Main Basin through a pair of
timber gates surmounted by footbridges; continuous stepped
revetments to sides and semicircular end of dock basin, with
iron late C19 crane. The dock preceded completion of the
Gloucester and Dean Forest railway line opened in 1854. It was
built in order to facilitate the repair of vessels in and the
export of coal from Gloucester, rather than go to a South
Wales port for repairs and then pick up coal for export.
(Original Drawings in Gloucestershire Records Office: D2460
Drawings 9-F).

Listing NGR: SO8259818249

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.