History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gloucester Lock

A Grade II Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8642 / 51°51'51"N

Longitude: -2.2527 / 2°15'9"W

OS Eastings: 382697

OS Northings: 218433

OS Grid: SO826184

Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.197

Mapcode Global: VH94B.WDZR

Entry Name: Gloucester Lock

Listing Date: 12 March 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245604

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472560

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hempstead

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO8218SE THE DOCKS
844-1/11/346 Gloucester Lock
12/03/73

GV II

Lock linking the Main Basin of the Docks with the River
Severn. Completed 1799 as a two chamber lock in a staircase.
By Robert Mylne, architect and engineer, and James Dadford,
resident engineer, for the Canal Company. Remodelled 1892 as a
single chamber for the company and the River Severn
Commission. Concrete-lined lock basin with ashlar coping on
each side, at each end timber double gates carrying
footbridges, the gates formerly operated by timber balance
beams reinforced with iron girders, later by hydraulic paddle
gear. Separate flood gates fitted at north end of lock.

Listing NGR: SO8269718433

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


GLOUCESTER

SO8218SE THE DOCKS
844-1/11/346 Gloucester Lock
12/03/73

GV II

Lock linking the Main Basin of the Docks with the River
Severn. Completed 1799 as a two chamber lock in a staircase.
By Robert Mylne, architect and engineer, and James Dadford,
resident engineer, for the Canal Company. Remodelled 1892 as a
single chamber for the company and the River Severn
Commission. Concrete-lined lock basin with ashlar coping on
each side, at each end timber double gates carrying
footbridges, the gates formerly operated by timber balance
beams reinforced with iron girders, later by hydraulic paddle
gear. Separate flood gates fitted at north end of lock.

Listing NGR: SO8269718433

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.