History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Statue of Charles II

A Grade II Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8678 / 51°52'4"N

Longitude: -2.2491 / 2°14'56"W

OS Eastings: 382942

OS Northings: 218832

OS Grid: SO829188

Mapcode National: GBR 1KZ.VK7

Mapcode Global: VH94B.Y9VZ

Entry Name: Statue of Charles II

Listing Date: 12 March 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245670

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472429

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Maisemore

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO8218NE ST MARY'S SQUARE
844-1/7/328 (West side (off))
12/03/73 Statue of Charles II

GV II

Statue of King Charles II. 1662. By Stephen Baldwyn.
Limestone, weathered and damaged in part; cleaned and repaired
in 1960 and set on new stone pedestal with inset plaque on
front inscribed:
"CHARLES II. This statue was carved in 1662 by Stephen Baldwyn
and was set up in the Wheat Market in Southgate Street. It was
removed in the middle of the eighteenth century and its
whereabouts remained obscure until 1945 when it was
rediscovered in pieces at Chex Hill. Re-erected in this
position in 1960."
Slightly larger than life standing figure, crowned and wearing
royal robes; originally set within a niche at the north end of
the Wheat Market House in the middle of Southgate Street and
probably not removed until the demolition of the building in
c1785.

Listing NGR: SO8294218832

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


GLOUCESTER

SO8218NE ST MARY'S SQUARE
844-1/7/328 (West side (off))
12/03/73 Statue of Charles II

GV II

Statue of King Charles II. 1662. By Stephen Baldwyn.
Limestone, weathered and damaged in part; cleaned and repaired
in 1960 and set on new stone pedestal with inset plaque on
front inscribed:
"CHARLES II. This statue was carved in 1662 by Stephen Baldwyn
and was set up in the Wheat Market in Southgate Street. It was
removed in the middle of the eighteenth century and its
whereabouts remained obscure until 1945 when it was
rediscovered in pieces at Chex Hill. Re-erected in this
position in 1960."
Slightly larger than life standing figure, crowned and wearing
royal robes; originally set within a niche at the north end of
the Wheat Market House in the middle of Southgate Street and
probably not removed until the demolition of the building in
c1785.

Listing NGR: SO8294218832

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.