This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8691 / 51°52'8"N
Longitude: -2.23 / 2°13'48"W
OS Eastings: 384256
OS Northings: 218976
OS Grid: SO842189
Mapcode National: GBR 1L0.M12
Mapcode Global: VH94C.98FY
Entry Name: Kings Board, Hillfield Gardens
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 15 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472315
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Kingsholm and Wotton
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Gloucester St Catharine
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8418NW LONDON ROAD
844-1/10/187 (North side)
23/01/52 King's Board, Hillfield Gardens
(Formerly Listed as:
King's Board in the grounds of
Gazebo. In its present form probably late C18; built
originally in the grounds of the former Marybone House near
the Quay re-using C14 arcading and other architectural details
said to have come from the King's Board, a medieval market
house which stood in the centre of Westgate Street and
demolished in 1780; moved from Marybone House to a garden in
Barton Street, then in mid C19 to the grounds of Tibberton
Court; given to the City of Gloucester in 1936 and re-erected
as a feature in Hillfield Gardens. Limestone ashlar with
moulded and carved details, flat composition roof.
PLAN: a small decagonal building; on the south side an open
arcade of five bays standing on a stone base above three stone
steps set in a semi-circle which stop against short wing walls
to east and west; the north side is a solid wall of plain
EXTERIOR: the reset C14 arcade has slender moulded piers set
on moulded bases and cinqefoiled arches with trefoiled
sub-cusps; the angles of the decagon occur at the crowns of
the arches where the joints have been re-cut to fit, each
double spandrel is a single stone crisply carved in bas-relief
with a scene of Christ's ministry: the Entry into Jerusalem,
the Last Supper, the scourging of Christ, the Resurrection and
the Flagellation; above the arcade a crowning cornice with a
hollow roll into which four fleurons above each double
spandrel and two above each of the responding end spandrels
have been inserted; the cornice and the rear wall a low
crenellated parapet with a continuous moulded weathering.
HISTORY: the King's Board is reputed to have been given to the
City of Gloucester by King Richard II and was used as a butter
market in the late 16th century. There is also a (doubtful)
tradition that it was used as a preaching pulpit. The site of
this building in Westgate Street was examined in a restrictive
survey by the Gloucester Archaeological Unit in 1991 when the
foundations of a rectangular building were identified in the
same position as an arcaded market building shown in Kip's
View of Gloucester of 1712.
(Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Arch.
Society: Medland MH: The So-called King's Board at Tibberton
Court near Gloucester: 339-343).
Listing NGR: SO8425618976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings