History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Margarets Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8685 / 51°52'6"N

Longitude: -2.2321 / 2°13'55"W

OS Eastings: 384114

OS Northings: 218909

OS Grid: SO841189

Mapcode National: GBR 1L0.SL8

Mapcode Global: VH94C.89BF

Entry Name: St Margarets Chapel

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245723

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472319

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Kingsholm and Wotton

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Gloucester St Catharine

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Maisemore

Listing Text

SO8418NW
844-1/10/191
23/01/52


GLOUCESTER
LONDON ROAD
(South side)
St Margaret's Chapel

GV
II*


The chapel of the Leper Hospital of St Margaret and St
Sepulchre founded prior to 1163, now the chapel of the United
Almshouses (qv). The original chapel rebuilt early C14,
altered in C15; restored in 1846, and in 1875 by Waller and
Son with added vestry, roof renewed and new fittings. Squared
rubble incorporating C12 masonry in west wall, some lias
rubble, stone slate roof with coped gables. Nave of two bays
entered through west doorway, and a smaller chancel of one-bay
with added vestry on the south side.
EXTERIOR: nave has chamfered offset plinth; buttresses with
weathered offsets are set diagonally at the corners; in the
west wall an arched doorway with moulded jambs and a single
light window with a foiled head under the lintel; in a niche
in the upper part of the gable a sanctus bell; in each bay on
the north and south sides a C15 two-light window with
Perpendicular tracery; a doorway in the second bay of the
north wall; in the east wall of the chancel a restored C14
three-light window with foiled heads and quatrefoil tracery;
in the south wall two lancet windows with trefoiled heads and
in the north wall a similar lancet to the east of the C19
vestry.
INTERIOR: chancel arch of two chamfered orders, piscinas with
moulded arched heads in nave and chancel; C19 open roof with
king-post truss; stained glass probably by Clayton and Bell.
A very rare example of a medieval hospital chapel sited on the
major eastern approach to the city.


Listing NGR: SO8411418909

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.