History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

26 and 27, South Quay

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6037 / 52°36'13"N

Longitude: 1.7266 / 1°43'35"E

OS Eastings: 652434

OS Northings: 307180

OS Grid: TG524071

Mapcode National: GBR YQY.RBT

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.HTD9

Entry Name: 26 and 27, South Quay

Listing Date: 5 August 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245804

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468630

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Town: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Gorleston-on-Sea

Listing Text


GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5207SW SOUTH QUAY
839-1/15/179 (North East side)
05/08/74 Nos.26 AND 27

GV II

Pair of houses. C17 origins, facade rebuilt in mid C19 and
divided into 2 properties by 1874, damaged by bombs 1942 and
rebuilt 1948. Internal partitions inserted for use as offices
mid C20. Gault brick. Sloping felt roof. 3 storeys; 5-window
range. The ground floor rendered and scored to imitate ashlar
blocks. 6-panelled door set right of centre with a doorcase
composed of unfluted Doric columns supporting a plain
entablature and hood. One 6/6 unhorned sash right and 3 to
left of door. The 2 upper floors each have five 6/6 unhorned
sashes under gauged skewback arches. Parapet. Stack to north.
3-storey rear wing is rendered.
INTERIOR: principal rooms have plaster round arches.
First-floor front room with a modillion and rosette cornice.
Front rooms on upper floors now contiguous with No.25 to north
(qv).


Listing NGR: TG5243407180

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5207SW SOUTH QUAY
839-1/15/179 (North East side)
05/08/74 Nos.26 AND 27

GV II

Pair of houses. C17 origins, facade rebuilt in mid C19 and
divided into 2 properties by 1874, damaged by bombs 1942 and
rebuilt 1948. Internal partitions inserted for use as offices
mid C20. Gault brick. Sloping felt roof. 3 storeys; 5-window
range. The ground floor rendered and scored to imitate ashlar
blocks. 6-panelled door set right of centre with a doorcase
composed of unfluted Doric columns supporting a plain
entablature and hood. One 6/6 unhorned sash right and 3 to
left of door. The 2 upper floors each have five 6/6 unhorned
sashes under gauged skewback arches. Parapet. Stack to north.
3-storey rear wing is rendered.
INTERIOR: principal rooms have plaster round arches.
First-floor front room with a modillion and rosette cornice.
Front rooms on upper floors now contiguous with No.25 to north
(qv).


Listing NGR: TG5243407180

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.