This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6006 / 52°36'2"N
Longitude: 1.7246 / 1°43'28"E
OS Eastings: 652314
OS Northings: 306828
OS Grid: TG523068
Mapcode National: GBR YQY.YN9
Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.GWFP
Plus Code: 9F43JP2F+6R
Entry Name: 244b, Southtown Road
Listing Date: 27 June 1953
Last Amended: 26 February 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245814
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468640
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
District: Great Yarmouth
Town: Great Yarmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Southtown and Cobholm
Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
839-1/18/239 SOUTHTOWN ROAD
27-JUN-53 SOUTHTOWN AND GORLESTON
(Formerly listed as:
SOUTHTOWN AND GORLESTON
Also Known As: COLEMANS STORE, SOUTHTOWN ROAD, SOUTHTOWN AND GORLESTON
Naval arsenal. 1806. By James Wyatt. Now used as light engineering works. This particular building was the actual armoury and had until 1829 a fireproof stone roof. Red brick. Roof now of graded Cumberland slate. 2 storeys. Rectangular block of 7 by 3 bays, the corner bays slightly brought. West front with a blind window to right and left and 5 arched recessed between. Centre recess now a doorway. 7 blocked first-floor windows. Gault brick eaves courses continue round building. Overhanging eaves developed at north and south gable-ends as pediments. North gable-end with stone surrounds to doors. East front with blind end bays opened with C20 casements. 5 arched recesses between, the centre one higher and fitted with a door and dated 1893.
INTERIOR: internal floor removed late C20. Roof of king-post trusses.
HISTORY: The most architecturally elaborate building on this site. The Lodges, Barrack Block, Armoury and Workshop survive from the original Board of Ordnance store of 1806-c1815, built to serve the fleet anchored in Yarmouth Roads during the war with France from 1793 to 1815. This was originally planned with parallel ranges of storehouses extending westwards from a quay on the River Yare to enclose a working area which included a small magazine. The probable designer was James Wyatt (1746-1813), Architect to the Board of Ordnance from 1782. One of two barrack blocks survive from its conversion into Militia Barracks in the 1850s, and further alterations to the site were made after its purchase by Coleman's (the food manufacturers) in the 1890s. Some of the Napoleonic buildings, including the storehouses and magazine, were destroyed by bombing during the Second World War.
(Adam Menuge and Andrew Williams, The Royal Ordnance Store, Great Yarmouth, RCHME, 1999 (NBR No. 44260)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings