This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6006 / 52°36'2"N
Longitude: 1.7241 / 1°43'26"E
OS Eastings: 652280
OS Northings: 306827
OS Grid: TG522068
Mapcode National: GBR YQY.YH4
Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.GW6P
Plus Code: 9F43JP2F+6J
Entry Name: 245, Southtown Road
Listing Date: 27 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245815
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468641
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
District: Great Yarmouth
Town: Great Yarmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Southtown and Cobholm
Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
839-1/18/240 SOUTHTOWN ROAD
27-JUN-53 SOUTHTOWN AND GORLESTON
North Lodge to former naval arsenal, shown as 'Clerk of the Cheques' House' in 1810 and built in a matching style to No. 244 (qv). 1806-10, by James Wyatt for the Ordnance Board. Altered probably in 1891 when site relinquished by Admiralty for commercial use. Red brick. Slate roofs, the west slope of graded Cumberland slate, otherwise Welsh. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 2-window range. Plan is of a 2-bay block facing the road with a 3-bay wing extending east behind at right angles. This wing is a late C19 addition. West front with 2 late C19 tripartite horned sashes to ground floor and 2 plain horned sashes to first floor, all without glazing bars. Gault brick eaves course. Deep modillion eaves cornice below gabled roof. Rebuilt internal gable-end stacks north and south. Rebated entrance door in south gable under a round arch. One blind window each floor left and 3 horned sashes without glazing bars to remainder of gable. Gault brick eaves cornice continues under a deep modillion pedimented gable-end. Three 1/1 horned sashes under gauged skewback arches to each floor of the rear wing. 2 multiply-flued ridge stacks with star tops.
INTERIOR: main ground-floor rooms with 6-panelled doors and reveals. Late C19 open-string staircase with 2 square tapered balusters per tread, turned newels and moulded handrails.
HISTORY: The Lodges, Barrack Block, Armoury and Workshop survive from the original Board of Ordnance store of 1806-c1815, built to serve the fleet anchored in Yarmouth Roads during the war with France from 1793 to 1815. This was originally planned with parallel ranges of storehouses extending westwards from a quay on the River Yare to enclose a working area which included a small magazine. The probable designer was James Wyatt (1746-1813), Architect to the Board of Ordnance from 1782. One of two barrack blocks survive from its conversion into Militia Barracks in the 1850s, and further alterations to the site were made after its purchase by Coleman's (the food manufacturers) in the 1890s. Some of the Napoleonic buildings, including the storehouses and magazine, were destroyed by bombing during the Second World War.
(Adam Menuge and Andrew Williams, The Royal Ordnance Store, Great Yarmouth, RCHME, 1999 (NBR No. 44260)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings