This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8652 / 51°51'54"N
Longitude: -2.2458 / 2°14'44"W
OS Eastings: 383170
OS Northings: 218541
OS Grid: SO831185
Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.316
Mapcode Global: VH94C.1C2Z
Entry Name: Tower of the Former Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 15 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472215
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8318NW EASTGATE STREET
844-1/8/126 (South side)
23/01/52 Tower of the former Church of St
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Michael)
Includes: Tower of the former Church of St Michael SOUTHGATE
Tower of the former parish church of St Michael, now used as a
tourist information centre. Built between 1455 & 1472 at west
end of medieval church of St Michael. Except for tower the
church demolished 1849, rebuilt 1851 and demolished 1955-6,
minor alterations to tower for use as office 1980. Ashlar,
PLAN: a large, square belfry tower, the former entrance
doorway in the west side facing Southgate Street, the office
on the ground floor now entered through C20 glazed screen
infilling the archway between the tower and the former nave.
EXTERIOR: three principal stages; the corners with massive
offset clasping buttresses of plain ashlar capped by courses
of weathering rising to the mid-point of the central stage;
above the buttressses the angles of the tower are canted,
slightly extruded and faced with Perpendicular Gothic panels;
three bays of panels between the angles on each face; in each
of the south, west and north faces of the central stage a
large four-light window with a central transom and rectilinear
tracery, the crown of the arch capped by a gablet with carved
finial; on each face of the upper stage a large, three-light
belfry window with a central transom, solid panels below the
transom and louvres in the rectiliniar tracery of the window
arch; trefoil-headed panels in spandrels above; embattled
parapet with elaborate tracery panelling; the former pinnacles
at the corners have been removed.
INTERIOR: an elaborate lierne vault in the central stage now
concealed by a false ceiling.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: SO8317018541
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings