History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Addisons Folly

A Grade II Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.864 / 51°51'50"N

Longitude: -2.2463 / 2°14'46"W

OS Eastings: 383138

OS Northings: 218407

OS Grid: SO831184

Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.2WY

Mapcode Global: VH94C.0DVX

Entry Name: Addisons Folly

Listing Date: 12 March 1973

Last Amended: 15 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472218

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hempstead

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO8318SW GREYFRIARS
844-1/12/130 (North side)
12/03/73 Addison's Folly
(Formerly Listed as:
GREYFRIARS
Addison House)

GV II

The surviving portion of a former house on the south side of
the former Bell Lane, now offices. 1864, later alterations.
For TF Addison, a lawyer. Ashlar, dressed stone in courses,
and rubble rendered in part; some of the masonry probably
medieval and from demolished parts of the Franciscan Friary
(Greyfriars) (qv), slate roof. An east-west, gabled range,
formerly a wing at the rear of house, with the tower attached
on the south side at the west end built as a feature within
the former back garden of the house.
EXTERIOR: tower of three tall storeys, range of three storeys;
the tower at first-floor level on the west and south sides has
a raised band, and on all sides a crowning cornice and
crenellated parapet with weathered coping; on the west side
the entrance doorway in doorcase with pilasters and
entablature, on the south side to right on the ground floor a
snall square sash, above on the second floor a tall sash, both
in openings with flat arched heads with key stones, on the
third floor in each face a tall, semicircular arched sash; all
in similar openings with plain architraves, raised keystones
in the arches and projecting sills on moulded end-brackets.
The adjioning range at its east end has a stone-coped, open
pedimental gable with moulded verges; on the ground floor a
doorway with C20 French doors, on the first floor a tripartite
sash, and on the third floor extending into the gable a
similar but taller tripartite sash; on the south side on the
ground floor two sashes and on the first floor to right a
sash.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: plaque attached to west wall is inscribed: "ADDISON'S
FOLLY was built in 1864 by Thomas Fenn Addison in memory of
Robert Raikes who, together with Thomas Stock (both pioneers
of the Sunday School Movement), in 1780 started a Sunday
School to teach poor children to read".

Listing NGR: SO8313818407

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.