This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8679 / 51°52'4"N
Longitude: -2.2483 / 2°14'53"W
OS Eastings: 382998
OS Northings: 218846
OS Grid: SO829188
Mapcode National: GBR 1KZ.VSY
Mapcode Global: VH94B.Z98W
Entry Name: 13, College Green
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245895
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472169
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8218NE COLLEGE GREEN
844-1/7/78 (West side)
House. 1735-6. By John Pasco. Brick with stone details, slate
roof with dormers, gable-end stacks. Double-depth block, the
accommodation increased by a short extension into the south
end of No.14 College Green (qv) adjoining to right.
EXTERIOR: two storeys, attic and cellar. The front of three
bays, red brick in English bond with raised stone band at
first-floor level and a coved and moulded timber eaves cornice
returned at either end; entrance doorway in the right hand bay
approached by flight of four stone steps to threshold;
doorcase with moulded architrave, frieze of paterae
alternating with grooved triglyphs and pediment; in other bays
on ground and first floors, sashes with glazing bars (3x4
panes) in flush timber frames; above the outer bays gabled
roof dormers, each with pair of casements with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: stone paved entrance hall and open well staircase
with closed string, suspended newels and barleysugar
balusters; on the first floor timber-framing within the south
end of No.14 (qv) exposed by the extension to increase the
accommodation of No.13; several C18 six-panel doors; brick
vaulted cellar with fragment of a medieval masonry wall
incorporating part of a door jamb with stopped chamfer.
HISTORY: built by John Pasco, master builder of Moulsey,
Surrey, as a speculation in partnership with Barnabas Gunn,
cathedral organist, on ground leased from the bishop.
Listing NGR: SO8299818846
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings