This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6034 / 52°36'12"N
Longitude: 1.727 / 1°43'37"E
OS Eastings: 652462
OS Northings: 307142
OS Grid: TG524071
Mapcode National: GBR YQY.RG7
Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.HTLK
Plus Code: 9F43JP3G+8Q
Entry Name: Old Merchants House
Listing Date: 27 June 1953
Last Amended: 26 February 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468604
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30
District: Great Yarmouth
Town: Great Yarmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson
Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG5207SW ROW 117
839-1/15/157 (South side)
Old Merchants House
(Formerly Listed as:
ROW NO 117, The Rows
Old Merchants House)
Merchant's house. Early C17, bombed 1942 and restored as a
museum 1950-53. Red brick laid in a random bond and with some
flint. Red pantile roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and dormer attic; 3-window range. The
north front has one 6/6 horned sash to the ground floor and 2
to the first floor, all in altered openings. To the right at
first-floor level is a 5-light mullioned window with leaded
glazing. Gabled roof with 2 sloping dormers. Access is via a
later entrance set in the yard to the west. The east gable-end
has a small enclosed yard formed from a boundary wall. The
first floor is lit through a 5-light cross casement, above
which is a rebuilt chimney flue and a 3-light ovolo-moulded
mullioned window right and left lighting the attic. The
internal gable-end stack has a truncated octagonal shaft. The
south side has 2 replaced sashes to the first floor.
INTERIOR: extensive C17 brick cellars. The ground and first
floors have had a passage inserted to the south. The
ground-floor west room has a plaster ceiling, truncated to the
south and east by later partitions. The ceiling is of
geometric pattern with moulded ribs. Circular, square and
petalled fields. The former centre field has a Royal Arms of
James I with the Irish Harp first used in 1603. Floral
low-relief patterning and drop pendants with female figures.
The fireplace has bolection mouldings. Right and left are
strapworked doors with HL and cockshead hinges. The east room
has roll-moulded bridging beams and a staircase with turned
balusters. The first-floor west room has an early C17 plaster
ceiling, truncated to the south and east by inserted
partitions. The partitions have reeded and fluted pilasters.
Geometric patterns formed of moulded ribs. The centrepiece is
an encircled sexfoiled star with the field of floral design.
Jelly-mould drop pendants. Bolection-moulded fireplace. The
roof structure is of upper crucks, principals, 2 tiers of butt
purlins and collars. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TG5246207142
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings