This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7808 / 51°46'50"N
Longitude: 0.1257 / 0°7'32"E
OS Eastings: 546736
OS Northings: 211260
OS Grid: TL467112
Mapcode National: GBR LDJ.8M9
Mapcode Global: VHHM7.4HBQ
Entry Name: The Lawn and Attached Wall to South
Listing Date: 22 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246029
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472059
Location: Harlow, Essex, CM20
Electoral Ward/Division: Mark Hall
Built-Up Area: Harlow
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: St Mary-at-Latton
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 41 SE HARLOW MARK HALL NORTH
973/2/10006 Nos. 37-52
The Lawn and attached
Wall to South
Block of flats and attached wall to south. 1950-51, by Frederick Gibberd. Three storeys. Long, low, flat roofed block with deck access to north side to one and two-bedroom flats. Loadbearing brick structure, with hollow tile floors and roof Red brick end walls in double stretcher bond. Recessed orange brick south elevation. Void on ground floor, two thirds along block, and structure above carried on nine freestanding pilotis. To one side is the original washroom, clad in pale blue ceramic tiles. The void allows the ground plane and paving to flow through, creating a visual link between the blocks. The original metal windows have been replaced with UPVC. Interiors not of special interest.
This block was designed with and provides a visual counterpoint for Nos 1-36 The Lawn, the first residential tower block in Britain.
Listing NGR: TL4673611260
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings