This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2125 / 53°12'45"N
Longitude: -1.6768 / 1°40'36"W
OS Eastings: 421679
OS Northings: 368434
OS Grid: SK216684
Mapcode National: GBR 57S.NVF
Mapcode Global: WHCD7.6JS1
Plus Code: 9C5W687F+27
Entry Name: Old Town Hall the Buttermarket
Listing Date: 13 March 1951
Last Amended: 5 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246178
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468155
Location: Bakewell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bakewell
Built-Up Area: Bakewell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK2168 KING STREET
831-1/4/120 (North West side)
13/03/51 Old Town Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
(North West side)
The Buttermarket or Old Town Hall)
Also known as: The Buttermarket KING STREET.
Town hall now shop. 1602 altered 1709; restored C20. Coursed
limestone with ashlar sandstone dressings; stone slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2-window range. Wing to rear and attached
external steps on right return. Large quoins. Ground floor
with chamfered ashlar piers infilled by wood-mullioned windows
with leaded lights; studded door to right of central pier;
wooden lintels with 2 armorial crests.
First floor: central lead downpipe with rounded hopper;
restored 3-light chamfered, mullioned windows beneath
continuous dripmould. Ashlar copings to parapet and end
gables; end stack with bands to left; C19 bellcote at right
end has battered, quoined base. External steps to ground-floor
right have ashlar side walls. Right return: quoined doorway
flanked by 2-light windows. Ashlar rear wing has small 2-light
mullioned window and gable copings with roll finial.
Left return: short 2-light mullioned windows beneath flush
ashlar band and dripmould; 2 tie-rod plates; taller
first-floor windows beneath dripmould; lower eaves to rear.
INTERIOR: 2 large transverse beams with chamfer stops; oak
common joists to each end but removed from centre to allow for
C20 oak staircase. First floor: 2 principal-rafter trusses
with diagonal struts and collars; 2 purlins to each slope;
HISTORY: originally served as Town Hall on upper floor with St
John's Hospital beneath; after 1709 the almsmen were housed in
St John's Hospital almshouses to rear (South Church Street
qv); later served as Buttermarket and also as Lady Manners
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1986-: 75).
Listing NGR: SK2167968434
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings