This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6251 / 51°37'30"N
Longitude: -0.7472 / 0°44'49"W
OS Eastings: 486819
OS Northings: 192555
OS Grid: SU868925
Mapcode National: GBR D5B.3WS
Mapcode Global: VHDW5.0FB0
Plus Code: 9C3XJ7G3+34
Entry Name: Wycombe Abbey Former Gates and Railings from Cumberland House and Buckingham House
Listing Date: 31 January 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454732
Location: Buckinghamshire, HP11
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: High Wycombe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: High Wycombe All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 8692 NE HIGH WYCOMBE THE RYE
1/10001 Wycombe Abbey
Former gates and railings
from Cumberland House
and Buckingham House
Railings, gatepiers and gates. 1780s, 1790s and mid C19, salvaged from houses occupied by the old War Office when in Pall Mall, London. Centre sections salvaged from Cumberland House, nos 85-87 Pall Mall, part Robert Adam's remodelling in the 1780s, gates and piers mid C19. Outer sections salvaged from Buckingham House, no 91 Pall Mall, Sir John Soane's remodelling of 1792-95. These were purchased by Lord Carrington 1908-9 and first erected as entrance gates and screen to Daws Hill House drive from High Wycombe. It was moved 25 metres south to its present location in 1924. Cast and wrought iron. on stone plinths. Its total length is 50 metres, of which 23 metres is from Buckingham House. Centre Sections (former forecourt screen to Cumberland House) comprise four gatepiers with former lamp supports, hollow piers with scrollwork, and four intermediate standards with urn finials with wrought iron decoration by Robert Adam. The central gates were removed for scrap during World War II. The mid C19 phase comprises two of the four carriage gates incorporated [non-opening] with alternating pointed and open fleur-de-lys finials. Main railing stretches with spear head finials and panels to base of railings. The outer sections (former area railings to Buckingham House of the 1790s) comprise spear head railings with three area gates incorporated [non-opening]. Seven decorative panels survive with three oval paterae within wrought iron lozenges. At the far left is a tall wrought iron panelled standard, provenance unknown.
[See "Survey of London" Vols 29,30 pp. 360-367. Illustrated in Plates 204,209, 224 and 225. Athlone Press 1960.]
Listing NGR: SU8681992555
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings