History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Masters Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Kings Chase, South Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4631 / 51°27'47"N

Longitude: -2.5069 / 2°30'24"W

OS Eastings: 364881

OS Northings: 173917

OS Grid: ST648739

Mapcode National: GBR CWG.SC

Mapcode Global: VH88P.HHK6

Entry Name: Masters Church

Listing Date: 30 April 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246335

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487313

Location: South Gloucestershire, BS15

County: South Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Kings Chase

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Kingswood

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Warmley

Listing Text


980/0/10097 REGENT STREET
30-APR-01 Masters Church

GV II

Congregationalist Chapel, 1851, by Henry Masters of Bristol. Pennant stone random rubble with Bath stone dressings, Welsh slate roof. Large aisled chapel with polygonal (liturgical) east end and flanking towers to (liturgical) west end. EXTERIOR: West end arched door of diagonally set plank construction, set between stone piers and blind lancet windows, below a moulded string course and three stepped lancet windows with pierced trefoil decoration above. The flanking buttressed two-stage towers have blocked openings within canopies at ground level and lancets at upper level, below corbel tables. The (liturgical) west tower is capped with an open octagonal spire with canopied arcade: that on the (liturgical) east side has been removed. Angled iron plates in the side corners of the towers at plinth level. Five bay side elevations with projecting aisles: blocked lancet windows at ground level, paired lancet openings at clerestory height. Projecting polygonal apse at east end with two orders of lancet openings and a projecting chimney stack on the (liturgical) north-east face. INTERIOR: nave and aisles of five bays with pointed arched arcades on octagonal piers. Open timber king-post roof. Polygonal apse formerly with organ and choir; gallery at west end. Floorboards, pews and fittings removed at time of inspection. HISTORY: this chapel was built to accommodate the enlarged congregation attending Whitfield's Tabernacle. It was closed for worship in 1983. The building has group value with the Grade I-listed Whitfield Tabernacle and forms a significant part of a historically significant Methodist enclave. REFERENCES: G. Eayrs, Wesley and Kingswood and its Free Churches (1911); RCHME, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses Central England (1986), 85-87.


Listing NGR: ST6488273920

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


980/0/10097 REGENT STREET
30-APR-01 Masters Church

GV II

Congregationalist Chapel, 1851, by Henry Masters of Bristol. Pennant stone random rubble with Bath stone dressings, Welsh slate roof. Large aisled chapel with polygonal (liturgical) east end and flanking towers to (liturgical) west end. EXTERIOR: West end arched door of diagonally set plank construction, set between stone piers and blind lancet windows, below a moulded string course and three stepped lancet windows with pierced trefoil decoration above. The flanking buttressed two-stage towers have blocked openings within canopies at ground level and lancets at upper level, below corbel tables. The (liturgical) west tower is capped with an open octagonal spire with canopied arcade: that on the (liturgical) east side has been removed. Angled iron plates in the side corners of the towers at plinth level. Five bay side elevations with projecting aisles: blocked lancet windows at ground level, paired lancet openings at clerestory height. Projecting polygonal apse at east end with two orders of lancet openings and a projecting chimney stack on the (liturgical) north-east face. INTERIOR: nave and aisles of five bays with pointed arched arcades on octagonal piers. Open timber king-post roof. Polygonal apse formerly with organ and choir; gallery at west end. Floorboards, pews and fittings removed at time of inspection. HISTORY: this chapel was built to accommodate the enlarged congregation attending Whitfield's Tabernacle. It was closed for worship in 1983. The building has group value with the Grade I-listed Whitfield Tabernacle and forms a significant part of a historically significant Methodist enclave. REFERENCES: G. Eayrs, Wesley and Kingswood and its Free Churches (1911); RCHME, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses Central England (1986), 85-87.


Listing NGR: ST6488273920

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.