History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Southern Mortuary Chapel Higher Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Heavitree, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.728 / 50°43'40"N

Longitude: -3.5075 / 3°30'27"W

OS Eastings: 293695

OS Northings: 93123

OS Grid: SX936931

Mapcode National: GBR P1.VL80

Mapcode Global: FRA 37J5.5B5

Entry Name: Southern Mortuary Chapel Higher Cemetery

Listing Date: 19 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487035

Location: Exeter, Devon, EX1

County: Devon

District: Exeter

Town: Exeter

Electoral Ward/Division: Heavitree

Built-Up Area: Exeter

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Heavitree St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Exeter

Listing Text


SX 93 93 ST MARKS AVENUE
871/12/10040 Southern Mortuary Chapel Higher Cemetery
19-FEB-01

II

One of a pair of Gothic mortuary chapels probably dating to 1866. Cemetery officially consecrated and opened in 1866 as Bartholomew's Yard. Chapel designed by Edward Ashworth to accommodate the requirements of the Church of England, the other chapel for Non-Conformists. Heavitree coursed stone with Bath stone dressings. Slate roof with bands of different coloured slate; with cast iron rainwater goods. Ridge tiles with finials.
Plan: small rectangular chapel with entrance on the west end.
Exterior: low battered footings. Angle buttresses and bellcote. 3 windows to north side, 3 to the south. Decorated style with 2 trefoil headed lights and variations in head tracery. West end has pointed arch plank door with Gothic iron strap work. 2 Decorated style windows above, with a single blind Decorated style window above those. East end window has 3 trefoil headed lights with head tracery. Stained glass in east window, the rest hold clear glass. Hood mouldings with good quality carved pre-Raphaelite heads for terminals.
Iron bootscraper to left of door.
INTERIOR: Not inspected internally.
Part of a good group with the Northern Mortuary Chapel and Lodge (qqv).


Listing NGR: SX9369593123

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SX 93 93 ST MARKS AVENUE
871/12/10040 Southern Mortuary Chapel Higher Cemetery
19-FEB-01

II

One of a pair of Gothic mortuary chapels probably dating to 1866. Cemetery officially consecrated and opened in 1866 as Bartholomew's Yard. Chapel designed by Edward Ashworth to accommodate the requirements of the Church of England, the other chapel for Non-Conformists. Heavitree coursed stone with Bath stone dressings. Slate roof with bands of different coloured slate; with cast iron rainwater goods. Ridge tiles with finials.
Plan: small rectangular chapel with entrance on the west end.
Exterior: low battered footings. Angle buttresses and bellcote. 3 windows to north side, 3 to the south. Decorated style with 2 trefoil headed lights and variations in head tracery. West end has pointed arch plank door with Gothic iron strap work. 2 Decorated style windows above, with a single blind Decorated style window above those. East end window has 3 trefoil headed lights with head tracery. Stained glass in east window, the rest hold clear glass. Hood mouldings with good quality carved pre-Raphaelite heads for terminals.
Iron bootscraper to left of door.
INTERIOR: Not inspected internally.
Part of a good group with the Northern Mortuary Chapel and Lodge (qqv).


Listing NGR: SX9369593123

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.