This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.756 / 51°45'21"N
Longitude: -1.2598 / 1°15'35"W
OS Eastings: 451187
OS Northings: 206630
OS Grid: SP511066
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.SD3
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.34V5
Plus Code: 9C3WQP4R+C3
Entry Name: 65, St Giles
Listing Date: 12 March 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246866
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486995
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary Magdalen
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP5106NW ST GILES
House, now offices. Circa early C18; remodelled late C18 by Henry Keene; altered and extended circa 1860; altered later C20. Rendered stone and brick. Slate hipped roof behind parapet and gable-ended roof to rear wing. Stone rubble stack at side.
PLAN: Entrance to left of C20 shop, leading to staircase at back, rising to principal room on first floor at front and chambers above; later C19 wing at rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 3-window front. Ground floor stone pointed arch doorway on left with hoodmould and large C20 shop window on right. First floor large 3-light canted bay window set back a little on right, with large 12-pane sashes in moulded cases and with moulded cornice above. Second floor four 9-pane sashes, with moulded cornice to parapet above. Rear: doorway with large overlight and one and two-light sashes with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: Late C18 open-well staircase from first to second floor with Chinoiserie balustrade with moulded mahogany hand rail ramped up to slender turned newels. Principal first floor front room has moulded ceiling cornice, large chimneypiece with engaged Ionic columns and entablature and fielded 6-panel door with moulded architrave and overdoor. Various late C18 and C19 chimneypieces with grates. First floor front room has early C18 chimneypiece with C19 grate.
NOTE: In late C18 No.65 St Giles was probably remodelled by Henry Keene, who bought a lease on the property in 1768.
SOURCE: Colvin,H. Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, p.572.
Listing NGR: SP5118706630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings