History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Muswell Hill Public Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Fortis Green, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5911 / 51°35'28"N

Longitude: -0.1433 / 0°8'35"W

OS Eastings: 528716

OS Northings: 189665

OS Grid: TQ287896

Mapcode National: GBR DS.JJL

Mapcode Global: VHGQL.G8LK

Entry Name: Muswell Hill Public Library

Listing Date: 7 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247005

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456121

Location: Haringey, London, N10

County: London

District: Haringey

Electoral Ward/Division: Fortis Green

Built-Up Area: Haringey

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Muswell Hill

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
East Finchley

Listing Text

TQ 2889 QUEEN'S AVENUE
(south side)
800-/21/10009 Muswell Hill Public
library

II

Public library. 1931 by W H Adams for Hornsey Borough Council.
Red and brown brick with stone dressings, flat roof.
Rectangular plan of two storeys, the lower for adults and the
upper for children - this with central four-bay raised attic
and skylights. Three bay main frontage has deep plinth, a
giant order of pilasters, cornice, frieze and pediment, with
central double panelled doors flanked by giant volute brackets
and carriage lamps. Over it are arrayed the Hornsey Borough
arms and the date - 1931 - in stone surround linking door with
first-floor window. The flanking windows are similarly paired
vertically, but have between them raised stone panels inset
into contrasting brickwork. This motif is repeated on the
first bay of the side elevations; these also have a giant
order, but have brown brick panels at first-floor level and
clerestorey glazing in raised attic. All windows have metal
glazing with margin lights and diagonal panes in various
patterns.
The interior has an elaborate iron stair leading to children's
library. This room is significant for the survival of its
panelling, some original shelving and especially for a deep
frieze of murals painted by the Hornsey School of Art in
1937-8; they are the earliest mural decorations known to
survive in a children's library, - once a popular repository
for mural painting as a device to encourage learning, but now
rare. The murals depict local scenes through the ages, and
were the work of J B Shaw, D Fuller, R Woodward, G Makins and
Miss W M Gamlen of-the Hornsey School of-Art.


Listing NGR: TQ2871689665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

TQ 2889 QUEEN'S AVENUE
(south side)
800-/21/10009 Muswell Hill Public
library

II

Public library. 1931 by W H Adams for Hornsey Borough Council.
Red and brown brick with stone dressings, flat roof.
Rectangular plan of two storeys, the lower for adults and the
upper for children - this with central four-bay raised attic
and skylights. Three bay main frontage has deep plinth, a
giant order of pilasters, cornice, frieze and pediment, with
central double panelled doors flanked by giant volute brackets
and carriage lamps. Over it are arrayed the Hornsey Borough
arms and the date - 1931 - in stone surround linking door with
first-floor window. The flanking windows are similarly paired
vertically, but have between them raised stone panels inset
into contrasting brickwork. This motif is repeated on the
first bay of the side elevations; these also have a giant
order, but have brown brick panels at first-floor level and
clerestorey glazing in raised attic. All windows have metal
glazing with margin lights and diagonal panes in various
patterns.
The interior has an elaborate iron stair leading to children's
library. This room is significant for the survival of its
panelling, some original shelving and especially for a deep
frieze of murals painted by the Hornsey School of Art in
1937-8; they are the earliest mural decorations known to
survive in a children's library, - once a popular repository
for mural painting as a device to encourage learning, but now
rare. The murals depict local scenes through the ages, and
were the work of J B Shaw, D Fuller, R Woodward, G Makins and
Miss W M Gamlen of-the Hornsey School of-Art.


Listing NGR: TQ2871689665

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.