History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Joseph and Adjoining Prebytery

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodhouse, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3723 / 53°22'20"N

Longitude: -1.3851 / 1°23'6"W

OS Eastings: 441007

OS Northings: 386339

OS Grid: SK410863

Mapcode National: GBR LYRF.XT

Mapcode Global: WHDDQ.PHMK

Entry Name: Church of St Joseph and Adjoining Prebytery

Listing Date: 12 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247188

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456466

Location: Sheffield, S13

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Woodhouse

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Handsworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Templeborough

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK48NW ST JOSEPH'S ROAD, Handsworth
784-1/7/840 (North East side)
Church of St Joseph and adjoining
presbytery

GV II

Roman Catholic church and adjoining presbytery. 1879-81. By ME
Hadfield & Son. For the 15th Duke of Norfolk. Nave extended
and west front rebuilt 1956-57 by Hadfield, Cawkwell &
Davidson. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and
plain tile roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel with crypt, Lady chapel and organ chamber, nave,
north aisle, south porch. Pointed arch panel tracery windows
throughout.
EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, string course, sillband, coped
gables.
Single bay chancel has to north a 3-light window, and to east,
a similar 5-light window. To south, a 2-light window, flanked
to left by a priest's door with a small 2-light window above
it. All have hoodmoulds. Gable topped with cross. Crypt has 2
windows to east, and doorway with window above to north, all
with moulded surrounds.
Nave has to south four 3-light windows with hoodmoulds. West
end has gable with wrought-iron finial. 3-light window with
hoodmould and below, moulded ashlar doorcase with Tudor arched
double door and label mould, flanked by single flat-headed
windows.
Steeply gabled south porch has double chamfered doorway with
wrought-iron gates, and above, a slit window. To left, a
flat-headed window. To right, a lean-to projection.
Gabled north aisle has to north-east a gabled buttress topped
with figure in niche. East end has a traceried 4-light window
with hoodmould and below, 2 flat-headed windows with moulded
surrounds. North side has to east a 3-light window, then a
4-light window, then four 3-light windows, all with
hoodmoulds. Blank west gable.
To south-east, adjoining the presbytery, a single storey
corridor with 2 stone mullioned cross casements. To left, a
square extruded corner. To right, steps to the presbytery
door, with monolithic balustrades. Round-arched board door
with gabled stone canopy on brackets.
Presbytery, 2 storeys; 3 window range. T-plan. Coped gables
and parapets and gable and side wall stacks with
lozenge-shaped stone flues. Side wall stack with square flues.
Projecting central gable with 3-light stone mullioned window.
To its left, at the angle, a Decorated style niche with figure
and nodding ogee canopy. Above, a single small casement.
Below, a 3-light stone mullioned cross casement. To left,
single bay with coped parapet and small sash. Below, stone
mullioned cross casement. To right, set back bay with coped
garden wall with board door, linked to lean-to outbuilding
with garage door.
INTERIOR: chancel has double chamfered arch and responds, and
arch braced wagon roof with bosses. East end has stained glass
window, 1950, and Perpendicular style ashlar reredos, 1949.
South side has to east a cusped piscina and small sedilia.
Nave has arch braced wagon roof with wall shafts and corbels,
and sillband. 5 bay north arcade with double chamfered arches
dying into chamfered columns with crenellated responds.
Western arch has resited wooden rood. At the west end, a
smaller more pointed arch to the baptistry. West end has
screen wall with central double doors flanked by single
windows with wooden surrounds. Above, panelled wooden gallery.
Lady chapel has similar roof to chancel. To north, ramped
coped screen wall flanking altar steps. To its left, gate and
shouldered double doors to the crypt. East end has mid C20
stained glass window. To south, cusped piscina and pointed
arched opening with traceried screens, 1929. North aisle has
similar roof to nave. At the east end, double chamfered arch.
At the west end, moulded segmental pointed arch to baptistry,
with wrought-iron gates. Font resited in north aisle.
Presbytery has 4 stained glass panels, 1905, by F Nicolas of
Roermond.
Fittings include lobed ashlar font and open benches with
framed ends.
(Church Centenary Booklet: Anon: Sheffield: 1981-; 150 Years
of Architectural Drawing: Hadfield, Cawkwell, Davidson:
Sheffield: 1984-: ITEM 48).


Listing NGR: SK4100786339

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK48NW ST JOSEPH'S ROAD, Handsworth
784-1/7/840 (North East side)
Church of St Joseph and adjoining
presbytery

GV II

Roman Catholic church and adjoining presbytery. 1879-81. By ME
Hadfield & Son. For the 15th Duke of Norfolk. Nave extended
and west front rebuilt 1956-57 by Hadfield, Cawkwell &
Davidson. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and
plain tile roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel with crypt, Lady chapel and organ chamber, nave,
north aisle, south porch. Pointed arch panel tracery windows
throughout.
EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, string course, sillband, coped
gables.
Single bay chancel has to north a 3-light window, and to east,
a similar 5-light window. To south, a 2-light window, flanked
to left by a priest's door with a small 2-light window above
it. All have hoodmoulds. Gable topped with cross. Crypt has 2
windows to east, and doorway with window above to north, all
with moulded surrounds.
Nave has to south four 3-light windows with hoodmoulds. West
end has gable with wrought-iron finial. 3-light window with
hoodmould and below, moulded ashlar doorcase with Tudor arched
double door and label mould, flanked by single flat-headed
windows.
Steeply gabled south porch has double chamfered doorway with
wrought-iron gates, and above, a slit window. To left, a
flat-headed window. To right, a lean-to projection.
Gabled north aisle has to north-east a gabled buttress topped
with figure in niche. East end has a traceried 4-light window
with hoodmould and below, 2 flat-headed windows with moulded
surrounds. North side has to east a 3-light window, then a
4-light window, then four 3-light windows, all with
hoodmoulds. Blank west gable.
To south-east, adjoining the presbytery, a single storey
corridor with 2 stone mullioned cross casements. To left, a
square extruded corner. To right, steps to the presbytery
door, with monolithic balustrades. Round-arched board door
with gabled stone canopy on brackets.
Presbytery, 2 storeys; 3 window range. T-plan. Coped gables
and parapets and gable and side wall stacks with
lozenge-shaped stone flues. Side wall stack with square flues.
Projecting central gable with 3-light stone mullioned window.
To its left, at the angle, a Decorated style niche with figure
and nodding ogee canopy. Above, a single small casement.
Below, a 3-light stone mullioned cross casement. To left,
single bay with coped parapet and small sash. Below, stone
mullioned cross casement. To right, set back bay with coped
garden wall with board door, linked to lean-to outbuilding
with garage door.
INTERIOR: chancel has double chamfered arch and responds, and
arch braced wagon roof with bosses. East end has stained glass
window, 1950, and Perpendicular style ashlar reredos, 1949.
South side has to east a cusped piscina and small sedilia.
Nave has arch braced wagon roof with wall shafts and corbels,
and sillband. 5 bay north arcade with double chamfered arches
dying into chamfered columns with crenellated responds.
Western arch has resited wooden rood. At the west end, a
smaller more pointed arch to the baptistry. West end has
screen wall with central double doors flanked by single
windows with wooden surrounds. Above, panelled wooden gallery.
Lady chapel has similar roof to chancel. To north, ramped
coped screen wall flanking altar steps. To its left, gate and
shouldered double doors to the crypt. East end has mid C20
stained glass window. To south, cusped piscina and pointed
arched opening with traceried screens, 1929. North aisle has
similar roof to nave. At the east end, double chamfered arch.
At the west end, moulded segmental pointed arch to baptistry,
with wrought-iron gates. Font resited in north aisle.
Presbytery has 4 stained glass panels, 1905, by F Nicolas of
Roermond.
Fittings include lobed ashlar font and open benches with
framed ends.
(Church Centenary Booklet: Anon: Sheffield: 1981-; 150 Years
of Architectural Drawing: Hadfield, Cawkwell, Davidson:
Sheffield: 1984-: ITEM 48).


Listing NGR: SK4100786339

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.