History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Gateway to Thomas Frith and Sons Siemens Department

A Grade II Listed Building in Burngreave, Sheffield

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3936 / 53°23'37"N

Longitude: -1.4471 / 1°26'49"W

OS Eastings: 436866

OS Northings: 388675

OS Grid: SK368886

Mapcode National: GBR 9NF.98

Mapcode Global: WHDDH.RY3R

Entry Name: Entrance Gateway to Thomas Frith and Sons Siemens Department

Listing Date: 25 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247193

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456481

Location: Sheffield, S4

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Burngreave

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Walkley

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK38NE SAVILE STREET EAST
784-1/6/644 (North West side)
25/03/86 Entrance gateway to Thomas Firth &
Sons Siemens Dept

II

Entrance gateway to former steelworks. c1900. Rusticated
ashlar. Plinth and flat coping. Carriage arch with segmental
head and multiple keystones, with a doorway below. On either
side, a recessed panel with keystone lintel, and above a
window. All openings now filled with C20 railings. Below the
coping is the inscription " Thos Firth & Sons Ltd Siemens
Dept". This was the entrance to the Norfolk (steel) Melting
Shop of this famous company. The name refers to the use of the
Siemens open-hearth process, which was by 1900 the usual
method of making steel in bulk. Sheffield's large scale steel
industry was largely relocated in this area from the mid C19
onwards.
(Derry TK & William TI: A Short History of Technology: Oxford:
1960-: 484).


Listing NGR: SK3686688675

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK38NE SAVILE STREET EAST
784-1/6/644 (North West side)
25/03/86 Entrance gateway to Thomas Firth &
Sons Siemens Dept

II

Entrance gateway to former steelworks. c1900. Rusticated
ashlar. Plinth and flat coping. Carriage arch with segmental
head and multiple keystones, with a doorway below. On either
side, a recessed panel with keystone lintel, and above a
window. All openings now filled with C20 railings. Below the
coping is the inscription " Thos Firth & Sons Ltd Siemens
Dept". This was the entrance to the Norfolk (steel) Melting
Shop of this famous company. The name refers to the use of the
Siemens open-hearth process, which was by 1900 the usual
method of making steel in bulk. Sheffield's large scale steel
industry was largely relocated in this area from the mid C19
onwards.
(Derry TK & William TI: A Short History of Technology: Oxford:
1960-: 484).


Listing NGR: SK3686688675

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.