History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Catherine with St Alban and St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Burnley, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7872 / 53°47'14"N

Longitude: -2.2325 / 2°13'57"W

OS Eastings: 384777

OS Northings: 432348

OS Grid: SD847323

Mapcode National: GBR DSVN.G3

Mapcode Global: WHB83.P23G

Entry Name: Church of St Catherine with St Alban and St Paul

Listing Date: 29 September 1977

Last Amended: 19 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247283

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467218

Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB10

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

Town: Burnley

Electoral Ward/Division: Bank Hall

Built-Up Area: Burnley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burnley St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text


BURNLEY

SD8432SE TODMORDEN ROAD
906-1/21/139 (East side)
29/09/77 Church of St Catherine with St Alban
and St Paul
(Formerly Listed as:
TODMORDEN ROAD
(East side)
Church of St Catharine)

GV II

Anglican church. 1897. By Medland Taylor. Coursed yellow
sandstone rubble with red sandstone dressings and slate roofs
with red ridge tiles. Arts and Crafts style.
PLAN: nave at right-angles to street with a north-west tower
incorporating the porch, a south-west wing, an unusual
external south aisle (see below), and an apsidal chancel with
north organ house and south chapel.
EXTERIOR: the west facade is composed of a wide central gable
flanked by a small tower to the left and a set-back wing to
the right, with various sillbands stepped round. The tower, of
3 short stages, the upper ones slightly set back, has a
depressed arched doorway with chamfered surround and moulded
head, a shouldered lancet to the 2nd stage and a small 2-light
window above this, and a belfry with 2-light wooden louvred
openings protected by the oversailing eaves of a swept
pyramidal roof with a finial. The main gable has a ground
floor arcade of 3 chamfered arches with polychrome heads, the
1st 2 being windows of one and 2 lights respectively and the
3rd a deeply-splayed ogival-headed doorway with a moulded
surround and crockets in the head, each carved with a
different letter spelling "CATHERINE"; a very large 4-centred
arched west window with cusped lights and a hood-mould with an
ogival apex forming a pedestal to a statue in a niche; and 3
crosses at the apex.
The set-back 2-storey wing, with one small window on each
floor, an embattled parapet and a tall 2-light window in the
gable, is pierced at ground floor by a passage with
Tudor-arched doorways at each end. This leads through to an
arcade or external aisle formed by flying buttresses to the
south side of the nave. Both sides of the nave, which is of 5
bays and has conventional buttresses to the north side, have
tall windows alternately of 2 and 3 lancet lights. The chancel
has 4-light dormer windows on both sides of the 1st bay, that
on the north side gabled and that on the south side with a
hipped roof; the north chapel is canted, and the south chapel

is rectangular under a carried-down roof.
INTERIOR: brick walls; nave and chancel in one, with massive
arch-braced roof: semicircular arches, short king-posts with
raked struts; good wrought-iron screen to sanctuary mostly
removed and choir stalls reduced (for liturgical reasons);
shallow apse with wrought-iron baldachino; good stained glass
memorial window of 1926 in north side.

Listing NGR: SD8477732348

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BURNLEY

SD8432SE TODMORDEN ROAD
906-1/21/139 (East side)
29/09/77 Church of St Catherine with St Alban
and St Paul
(Formerly Listed as:
TODMORDEN ROAD
(East side)
Church of St Catharine)

GV II

Anglican church. 1897. By Medland Taylor. Coursed yellow
sandstone rubble with red sandstone dressings and slate roofs
with red ridge tiles. Arts and Crafts style.
PLAN: nave at right-angles to street with a north-west tower
incorporating the porch, a south-west wing, an unusual
external south aisle (see below), and an apsidal chancel with
north organ house and south chapel.
EXTERIOR: the west facade is composed of a wide central gable
flanked by a small tower to the left and a set-back wing to
the right, with various sillbands stepped round. The tower, of
3 short stages, the upper ones slightly set back, has a
depressed arched doorway with chamfered surround and moulded
head, a shouldered lancet to the 2nd stage and a small 2-light
window above this, and a belfry with 2-light wooden louvred
openings protected by the oversailing eaves of a swept
pyramidal roof with a finial. The main gable has a ground
floor arcade of 3 chamfered arches with polychrome heads, the
1st 2 being windows of one and 2 lights respectively and the
3rd a deeply-splayed ogival-headed doorway with a moulded
surround and crockets in the head, each carved with a
different letter spelling "CATHERINE"; a very large 4-centred
arched west window with cusped lights and a hood-mould with an
ogival apex forming a pedestal to a statue in a niche; and 3
crosses at the apex.
The set-back 2-storey wing, with one small window on each
floor, an embattled parapet and a tall 2-light window in the
gable, is pierced at ground floor by a passage with
Tudor-arched doorways at each end. This leads through to an
arcade or external aisle formed by flying buttresses to the
south side of the nave. Both sides of the nave, which is of 5
bays and has conventional buttresses to the north side, have
tall windows alternately of 2 and 3 lancet lights. The chancel
has 4-light dormer windows on both sides of the 1st bay, that
on the north side gabled and that on the south side with a
hipped roof; the north chapel is canted, and the south chapel

is rectangular under a carried-down roof.
INTERIOR: brick walls; nave and chancel in one, with massive
arch-braced roof: semicircular arches, short king-posts with
raked struts; good wrought-iron screen to sanctuary mostly
removed and choir stalls reduced (for liturgical reasons);
shallow apse with wrought-iron baldachino; good stained glass
memorial window of 1926 in north side.

Listing NGR: SD8477732348

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.