History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Decker Mill old Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ancoats and Clayton, Manchester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.4838 / 53°29'1"N

Longitude: -2.2264 / 2°13'35"W

OS Eastings: 385072

OS Northings: 398584

OS Grid: SJ850985

Mapcode National: GBR DNG.L5

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.RPZM

Plus Code: 9C5VFQMF+GC

Entry Name: Decker Mill old Mill

Listing Date: 20 June 1988

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247473

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456964

Location: Ancoats and Beswick, Manchester, M4

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Ancoats and Clayton

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Manchester Church of the Apostles

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in



698-1/17/461 (North West side)
20/06/88 Old Mill and Decker Mill
(Formerly Listed as:
(North West side)
Murray's Mill)


Cotton spinning mills, now clothing factory. Old Mill (to the
W) built in 1798, with Decker Mill added to the E in 1802.
Brown brick with slate roofs; internal structure of cast iron
columns and timber beams. The 2 mills form a continuous range
parallel to the canal; both now 7 storeys (although 8 storeys
when built), the original 11 bays of Old Mill extended by the
10 bay Decker Mill. Small windows with flat arched brick
heads. Stair tower serving both mills towards centre of rear
elevation, and 2 narrow heating or ventilation towers against
this rear wall. Detached engine house in the yeard beyond (a
mid C19 replacement), and octagonal stack with moulded cap
adjacent to it. Internal structure has been modified, but it
is likely that the original design incorporated joisted floors
carried on cruciform cast iron columns (as surviving in part
of New Mill, qv). Truncated remains of wing to Bengal Street
elevation was formerly a 4-storeyed range used for
warehousing, and had been added to the site by 1906.
History: built for Adam and George Murray, as the earliest
part of what became a large textile working site. The mills
were originally provided with their own canal basin in the
yard to the rear, which was linked to the Rochdale Canal by an
arched tunnel under the street. Fairbairn and Lillie's first
major contract was for the renewal of the machine shafting in
this mill.
Together with New Mill to the rear, these mills are highly
significant as a large early textile working site, developed
as a single concern around a courtyard/canal basin. Old Mill
is also the earliest surviving mill in Manchester.

Listing NGR: SJ8507298584

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.