This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1506 / 51°9'2"N
Longitude: 0.3996 / 0°23'58"E
OS Eastings: 567924
OS Northings: 141772
OS Grid: TQ679417
Mapcode National: GBR NR2.ZSM
Mapcode Global: VHJMX.WB3T
Plus Code: 9F32592X+6R
Entry Name: The Bull Public House
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250068
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432301
Location: Brenchley, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12
Civil Parish: Brenchley
Built-Up Area: Brenchley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Brenchley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 67 41 BRENCHLEY HIGH STREET, BRENCHLEY
15/132 The Bull Public House
Public House. 1880s, built on the site of the 'Old Bull' which burnt down.
Yellow brick with red brick dressings; peg-tile roofs; brick stacks with
rendered shafts. Eclectic High Victorian.
Plan: Facing north, directly on to the High Street. Asymmetrical plan,
formerly 3 rooms wide plus a one-room plan block at the right (west) end.
Exterior: The lively and very intact Victorian brick exterior is an important
foil to the pre 1700 tile-hung and framed buildings in the centre of the
village. 2 storeys and attic. The front elevation has red brick quoins and
red brick segmental arches to the recessed ground floor windows and doors, the
arches continued across the front as bands of brick moulded in a guilloche
ornament with a nail-head moulding below. Moulded red brick corbel table
below the eaves above a frieze decorated with roundels. The front gable has a
red brick toothed banding to the verges. Terra-cotta finials to the gables.
Original windows throughout with moulded timber mullions, high transoms and
segmental-headed mullioned lights above the transom. Asymmetrical 3-window
front, plus one window to the single-storey block at the far right end. One-
window block at the left end, gabled to the front, the 2-window block,
slightly set back at the right had a large half-hipped attic dormer. 2
original half-glazed doors into the right hand block of the main range,
flanking a 3-light window. Similar 3-light window to ground floor left and 2
to the single-storey block at the far right end. Similar 2- and 3-light
windows to the first floor and the attic gable and dormer. The single-storey
block has a large ventilator on the ridge. The right (west) return of the
main range is also very complete.
Interior: The crosswalls between the 3 rooms have been partly removed.
Carved chimney-piece to the left end stack. Original joinery survives
including a stair and doors.
A circa 1884 photograph, reproduced in A Victorian Pictorial Record of
Brenchley and Matfield (n.d., c.1988) shows the newly-built Bull advertising
"Good Stables and Coach House".
Listing NGR: TQ6792241776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings