This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8137 / 50°48'49"N
Longitude: -0.3716 / 0°22'17"W
OS Eastings: 514818
OS Northings: 102837
OS Grid: TQ148028
Mapcode National: GBR HMH.WC1
Mapcode Global: FRA B63Y.91T
Plus Code: 9C2XRJ7H+F9
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 11 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250172
English Heritage Legacy ID: 302245
Location: Worthing, West Sussex, BN11
County: West Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Worthing
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Worthing Holy Trinity with Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 1402 SE WORTHING CHAPEL ROAD
CHURCH OF ST PAUL
Chapel of ease, now church. 1812, exterior by john Rebecca of Worthing, interior by Charles Hide; extended and altered 1893. Yellow stock brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings, east end stuccoed and scored as ashlar; concealed roof 2 storeys, 3 x 6 bays. East end: 3-bay pedimented Tuscan portico on 3-step podium with attached pilasters at gable wall. Blocked central entry, now window, and side-doors, all in moulded architraves, the side-doors having panelled double-doors and fanlights with decorative glazing bars. Plat band breaking forward over doors and with segmental pediment over central door; 3 recesses above. Behind portico, body of church has tall, flat-coped, parapet with dies and, at east end, central cupola, on stepped podium, with Greek-key fueze and ball-finial. Returns: east bay treated as front and having a curved-backed rectangular recess to ground floor and a 24-pane sash window in eared architrave above. T o rest, 2-1ight segmental-arched mullioned windows to ground floor and round-arched windows above, all having gauged brick arches and stone inner surrounds and cills; ashlar cill band to 1st floor. On south side at left end, steps up to door in projecting flat-roofed porch; further left, tall added l-storey block with 2 windows. North side marked by attached church hall of 1964. Interior: added chancel at west end in classical style with columns, attached pilasters, moulded cornice, keyed arch with panelled soffit, panelled vault, tessellated floor, and alabaster and marble facings of 1912. Body of church has coffered ceiling with panelled beams; columns support side galleries which have panelled and balustraded fronts and original pews; organ gallery at east end with royal coat of arms. Decorative rnid-C19 wooden pulpit and choir stalls. Font, brought from Chichester Cathedral, has C 15 octagonal polished stone bowl. The chapel of ease was built to serve Worthing when this was still part of the parish of Broadwater.
H A L Jefferson, St Paul's Church Worthing: a short history (1969).
Listing NGR: TQ1481802837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings